We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

We are contemplating canceling our trip and cruise due to high alert terror threats. Any thoughts on safety in Athens and other Greek Island and Italy?

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Have just looked on the net at the travel alert sites in America and nowhere does it list Greece as being a problem.

Unless I have missed something (lol) then I would say that you are safe to travel. :O) :O)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Just go and enjoy your trip....I've been speaking to people that are currently on the Greek Islands - no problems.... There are plenty of cruise ships doing the rounds of the Greek Islands and Italy and I haven't heard anything!

Fi

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Sorry- we are fairly new at traveling abroad and understand the terrorist are targeting airplanes, airports and in general really don't like Americans. First trip to Athens.

14. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 05, 2013
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Spyros......... A bit unfriendly to say the least and not in keeping with TA guidelines.

minnigal........ Please go ahead and enjoy your holiday...........You won't regret it. :O) :O)

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Don't worry- you'll be fine- I won't be cancelling my trip. I feel safer in Greece than anywhere I've been in the US.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

no one wants to launch a terrorist attack against greece..it's a small peaceful country,with no significant power and no significant help to wars against iran afghanistan iraq etc..so it's not important or threatening enough to make terrorists hate it...other countries fullfil these criteria,like yours first of all or big european countries.you are much safer here than in usa,in 9/11 over 3000 people were kiled..people killed in greece by terrorists the last 30 years i live here must be under ten and they were all politics or embassadors of foreighn governments..so practically you have zero chances of being hit by a terrorist and zero reasons to worry about it.

indeed greece this year has the best year ever in history concerning tourism and as you can see here reports from people who came back are all very positive .incidents like pickpocketing or similar occur,like all over the world i supose..what happened and probably started this ''alert'' (IF THIS ALERT IS REAL AND YOU ARE NOT SOMEONE WHO IS MISINFORMING ON PURPOSE)is that some turkish citizents(kurds in origin) were captured in greece for plannning to attack TURKEY,not greece.that's why your country started this ''alert'' like it probably should,but again,turkey was the target,an asian country,not greece..

the reason my fellow greeks answered with such frystration is because it seems like you mistken greece for asian or arab counntries where people randomly blow up themselves and kill 100 more with them.i know your media bombs you all the time with the greek criis,and indeed we are in a tough situation with our economy but we are still a european civilized country.

Edited: 9:24 am, August 05, 2013
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

I am sure you will receive a warm welcome in Athens......It is a lovely city.

Fi

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

sorry for the mispells,too many of them..i never check before posting and i should

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,737 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Athanasie, the warning has nothing to do with Greece or the recent incident.

It involves many European countries and their embassies or properties abroad ( no Greece at all ) and has to do with a chatter about terrorism from some sources related to Al Qaeda, in combination with some timings regarding Ramadan 2013 and its end.

USA, France and some other European countries have issued some warnings indeed.

Greece has not issued any warning at all, nor any foreign authority has issued any relative warning about Greece.

Recent warning has absolutely nothing to do with Greece by any factor.

I understand Minnigal's anxiety can probably have to do with US airports ( yes, these are in alert ) or some other major aiport somewhere in the continent.

Regarding Greece itself no terrorism related special warning of any kind has been issued recently.

Edited: 9:30 am, August 05, 2013