We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Customs

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
papakim
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing Customs

We are flying into Athens Monday night from Boston via FRA on LH. Then on Aegean to JTR. LH says they have agreement with Agean on luggage and can check us through to JTR.

Do I need to collect my luggage for this process? I'd rather check to JTR of course if I can do it. What do I need to know about the customs process in Athens? Arrive at 5:00 Monday night and fly out at 7pm. Looking forward to a hot and sunny week in Athens and the islands.

Any live music next week? Scheduled demonstrations?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Customs

If your airline has an agreement with Aegean then you will collect your luggage in Santorini airport,you will stay in transit in Athens.

Edited: 10:37 am, June 10, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Customs

If your baggage is checked through to Santorini there will be no customs or passport checks in Athens (Greece and Germany are in the Schengen zone so all the passport checks will be done in Frankfurt). Unless you have something to declare, clearing customs means walking out of the airport through the Nothing to Declare/Green exit and you will do it in Santorini after collecting your bags.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Customs

Hello! How did this process work for you?

I'll be flying into Athens on the Aug 30 on US Air (from Philadelphia). Flight arrives at 9:15am. We later decided to go immediately to Santorini and are planning to book an 11:55am flight via Olympic.

I don't know of any agreements where we'd be able to check our bags to JRT so I'm guessing we'll need to collect them at baggage claim in Athens, go through customs, them check-in the Olympic flight and check our bags to JRT.

I want to make sure approximately 2.5 hours will be enough time for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Customs

Hey again Kimberly208:-) Along with Heimdall, got you on your other post;-) You'll be going through formalities upon arrival in Athens off the direct trans.. you've got a good time spread;-) EnJOY!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing Customs

Thanks again, Litsa!

and sorry for the double post...after posting I was thinking a post about the Athens Airport was better posted in the Athens forum. Thankfully there are many helpful people, like yourself, reviewing multiple forums.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing Customs

No worries Kimberly208.. and most certainly no apologies needed;-) Quite understandable coming the distance.. first time.. new Country.. very logical, common sense questions;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

7. Re: Clearing Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 18, 2014