We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Family Holiday

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AJVickery
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet Family Holiday

Hello!

My wife and I and our 2 month old son will visit Greece for two weeks. Traveling from Dubai, probably the first two weeks of August.

Ideally we want to avoid very busy very touristy areas and find a quieter town on a coast or island to relax. We will probably want to explore and can rent a car but all of this is dependent on our son's mood!!!

I would love to avoid spending any unnecessary time on connecting flights or ferries but appreciate that this might be unavoidable.

We will probably fly into Athens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AJ

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
793 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

"Quiet" and "August" don't quite go together in Greece, so this could be a bit tough...

Off the top of my head, try Kea, Andros, Skyros islands, but the connections is unavoidable...

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

We spent a lovely 2 weeks at the Liakoto Hotel and Apartments in Kardamili with our son when he was 6 months old, in the last 2 weeks in August. It was busy by Kardamili standards but that's not so busy !

We had the choice of staying by the pool, wandering off to the beach (pebbly so no sand in the nappy), or strolling around the village or up to Old Kardamili. 5 minutes drive takes you to Stoupa which is bigger and busier but nice for a half day trip and lunch at the beach. A few more minutes takes you to Agios Nikolaos, a small fishing village which we visit for fresh fish lunch every year on our Kardamili holiday.

From Athens airport it would be about a 3 hour drive to Kardamili I think, all on good motorway to Kalamata, and then a scenic crawl through the mountains to Kardamili for the last 40 minutes or so.

We don't drive when away so have taken the train from the airport to Corinth in the past, with a taxi organised from Corinth to Kardamili.

Have a look at Kardamili and the Liakoto on here to see if it looks any good for you. We love it. It strikes the perfect balance between low key tourism and normal village life, and the service and standards at Liakoto are fantastic, as well as the seafront balconies for tired Mums and Dads !

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

All of which just prompted me to change my profile picture to show the view from our balcony at the Liakoto, at sunset. Returning end of August - this time a first holiday for our new baby daughter. Can. Not. Wait. :)

4. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:52 am, April 23, 2014
Edited: 7:52 am, April 23, 2014
5. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:52 am, April 23, 2014
AJVickery
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

Thank you very much for your help with this. How have you found the train journey? Is it quite easy to do with young children? Do you travel with a car seat for the taxi journey?

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

The rail hub is connected to the airport terminal by a modern walkway with travelators. It is a simple circular space with ticket windows and a cafe, with lifts down to the platforms. It costs about 11 euros for the journey to Corinth (Kiato train). Takes about 1 hour 20 mins and was absolutely no problem at all with all of our luggage for 2 weeks, including stroller and car seat. (Airlines allow you 2 pieces of luggage so car seat checked in and stroller right up the door of the plane.)

So yes, took a baby car seat for the taxi journey, and for all the other taxi journeys we took locally to Stoupa and Agios Nikolaos.

We found it perfect to have the lovely pool at Liakoto only a few metres from our apartment. It meant you could go straight back in to cool (baby) down or clean baby up ! Also easy for one parent to go for a swim, or take a nap inside, whilst still being all in the same vicinity. Our morning routine generally consisted of a fairly early rise to feed our son, and myself and the wee man would take the stroller 50 yards up to the Main Street to buy fresh pastries or bread and some fruit etc, and then head back after an espresso stop for breakfast on the balcony looking out to sea. It also gave his Mum a much needed 20-30 mins pamper time/silence !

Every other day we would try to do a trip - even just a stroll down to the pebbly beach, but most days we just relaxed at the pool and apartment where the owners would send out iced water with lemon slices to the people around the pool. It tends to be a quiet pool area as most of the visitors are all heading out for walks in the mountains or visits to the many archeological sites in the area.

There are several excellent choices for lunch in the village and we often made lunch our main meal of the day, costing around 20 euros for a couple of starters and a couple of mains (mix it up and share Greek style) with some wine/beer. Then at night there a couple of souvlaki places to get pork, lamb, or chicken on sticks with salad, bread and chips - plenty to eat for 2 for about 8 euros. Eaten on the balcony listening to the waves and looking at the stars - wonderful !

Another few great choices at night to eat - some right on the volcanic rock at the seafront, so perfect for dining as you watch the sunset about 8.30pm. Baby in Jammies and mozzie net over the stroller.

Enjoy your research, but I can only recommend based on my own experience. If you do decide to consider Liakoto in Kardamil, I would suggest you make a list of questions and simply email Gerry and Ilia (great people) at Liakoto. Good Luck ! Enjoy your holiday, wherever you decide.

Edited: 2:57 am, May 30, 2013
8. Re: Quiet Family Holiday

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 01, 2014