We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fillet Steak

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fillet Steak

Does anyone know if horsemeat is used in Athens restaurants.? I understand it is freely available in some countries - France, Poland - but I prefer ordinary fillet steak from cattle. Would be interested to know about the situation in Greece.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fillet Steak

No,Greeks don't eat horse,they never did.You will not find any horse meat in any restaurant in Greece.

Edited: 12:05 pm, May 21, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fillet Steak

On the other hand visiting Greece and eating something so bland like fillet steak is at least a ...shame ...:)

It is better to explore the local culinary tradition,you will find much better ...fillet steak in the US in Greece it will be imported and there is no real tradition in cooking or eating it.....

Edited: 2:09 pm, May 21, 2013
WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fillet Steak

Hi Kitsos

Thank you for your two responses, very much appreciated. I agree that a far better option than steak would be to enjoy the wonderful Greek food that is so tasty. One dish that I would like to try is Pastitio but apparently, not so easy to find these days.

Best Wishes

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fillet Steak

Pastitsio might be available at the touristy tavernas in Plaka but Im not sure about how fresh and good it will really be. A more safe option is to eat delicius Greek grilled meats (mostly pork and chicken- definitely not horse) such as gyros, souvlaki, kebab etc. The shops at the 'souvlaki row' in Monastiraki, although they are very touristy, offer very good food. Thats why they also have a large local clientele, and not just foreign tourists.

WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fillet Steak

Evan 76 - some excellent good tips from you. Very much appreciated.

Thank you

6. Re: Fillet Steak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 23, 2014