We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell and Mobile phones in Greece

Bath
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cell and Mobile phones in Greece

I will be working in Athens for at least 6 months and am wanting to get a sim card for my Iphone to use whilst there - for roaming, etc. I am looking at a plan from Cosmote, a Greek company. any comments? They don't call it "Pay as You Go" there - but no monthly tarriff....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell and Mobile phones in Greece

All of the companies have prepaid plans which allow you to get a Greek phone number and use your own unlocked cell phone.

You must appear in person to purchase the plan initially, with your passport and then you can recharge it at any kiosk. Each company has various cards you can buy to recharge - you may want to wait until you arrive because most also offer plans which offer free calls between the same carriers so if you have friends or coworkers who are here as well, it can be more economical to be on the same plan as the one you are on.

If you are in Athens you probably don't have to consider who has reception where because they seem to all provide decent coverage (outside of Athens this may not always be true).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell and Mobile phones in Greece

Just make sure to ask for a nano sim (iPhone 5) or micro sim (iPhone 4/4s). I know for sure that cosmote offers those options. Also supposedly cosmote coverage is the best overall.

3. Re: Cell and Mobile phones in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 21, 2014