We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Greece - many questions

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
first time to Greece - many questions

Hi. My husband and I have been planning our first trip to Greece for many months. This will be our first international trip and we're both excited and a little apprehensive. Recently, a friend took a trip there and wasn't as enthusiastic about it as we would have expected. We're starting to wonder if it's the best place for us to go right now - we really want to see Greece but we've saved for a long time and don't want to spend the money right now if it's not a good time to visit. I was hoping to get some more opinions from people who know, instead of reading generic travel information.

Our friend was surprised at the cost of street food and small restaurants - I'm wondering if that's because he stuck to the touristy areas or if we should expect high food costs? Our friend went with a tour group (as we plan to) and he was recommended to stick to a 9 PM curfew for safety. Is that conventional wisdom or just over precaution on the tour's part? Finally, he said that the hotels they stayed at outside of Athens (Delphi, Nafplion, Kalambaka/Meteora) were very out of the way so not much to do once dropped off there. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thank you for your time...and your patience with a couple of travel novices! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: first time to Greece - many questions

..how much of a connection time did you have in London..( Heathrow)? Were you on a through ticket or were the segments booked independently/seperate?!

As far as the cabbie goes.. guess she didn't know about the flat rate?! Nonetheless, doubt much you would of had enough for even a couple of coffees with any change since using the Euros would have eaten up allot in the exchange to the local currency! Good thing you had mananged to transfer some funds.. looks like she was using a debit card?! FWIW, always good to have a regular CC .. just in case;-) Enjoyin'!

22. Re: first time to Greece - many questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 23, 2014