We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City vs airport stay

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
131 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
City vs airport stay

After spending 8 days on Kos, Kalymnos and Pserimos visiting family, we will arrive in Athens on a Sunday evening at 9:30pm. We will have Monday in Athens to sightsee (and yes, I know the Acropolis museum is closed but we have no choice).

My plan is to stay at the Holiday Inn Sunday night due to the late arrival. I’m debating staying at the Hilton Monday night after sightseeing all day--we are Diamond members using points--and returning to the airport on Tuesday for a noon flight.

My questions are: I’d like to take advantage of my HH points, but will it be a hassle getting to the Hilton on Monday, leaving luggage somewhere and getting back to the airport on Tuesday or are we better off doing both nights at the Holiday Inn at the airport?

I read in an earlier post that taxi’s to/from airport in the evening are 50E so that might make the decision right there NOT to go back to the HI at night.

I don’t want to be rushed for our flight the next day so travel back to the airport from the Hilton will factor in also.

I’ve appreciated reading all the informative posts on this forum.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City vs airport stay

If this were my decision to make I'd spend both nights at the Hilton, no contest. Much better to make the journey into the city during the evening of arrival than eat into your one sightseeing day.

Taxi: 35 euros

Bus: 5 euros each

Metro: 8 euros each, or 14 for 2 tickets.

Metro will take about 40 mins (runs every 1/2 hour), bus or taxi pretty much the same depending on traffic. The bus & metro stops (Evangelismos) are opposite the Hilton.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
792 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City vs airport stay

^ Agreed.

Staying at the airport is like staying in the middle of nowhere. Whereas staying in the center of Athens is great as you can come and go from your hotel as you want and properly enjoy the sites and 'vibe' of the city...

I vote 'City', every time this questions is asked....

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City vs airport stay

City hands down.

Holiday Inn is NOT at the airport. Only hotel AT the airport is the Sofitel Athens, which means you walk three minutes and you are in.

Holidaay Inn needs either a transfer or a taxi or a bus ride to approach. It's not widlly different to proceed further and stay at the Hilton which is in the center.

So, question here is NOT actually "airport or city", since Holiday Inn is not at the airport but between the city and the airport, in the middle of nowhere. Question is Holiday Inn or Hilton. Voting for Hilton hands down. It offers good connections ( subway or X95 bus or taxi, arriving at 9.30pm you 'll get a taxi around 10pm i guess, this means 35 euros all included / the 50 euros rate applies for arrivals to your hotel after midnight, not "evening" )

Spend that 35 euros, goto Hilton, sightsee next day, stay another one and then get either a taxi ( 35 euros again ) or the metro or the bus ( on its way to teh airport stop is just outside Hilton's doors ) back to the airport.

Edited: 3:39 am, February 24, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City vs airport stay

You've heard the same thing from three people who live in Athens (or Greece). I'll chime in with the opinion of a fellow tourist. It's the same. There's nothing to be said in favour of staying at the Holiday Inn (even if it were at the airport) and everything to be said for staying in central Athens and making the most of your sightseeing day.

That's what I would do.

Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
131 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City vs airport stay

Thank you for your responses and clarification. I wasn’t sure when the taxi charge changed from 35 to 50 euro, so that helps also. One question: is that all included rate for 4 people or is there a surcharge for additional people?

I also thought using the shuttle to the Holiday Inn would be helpful (I have points to stay at the HI also if necessary) when we arrived back in Athens at night.

So I appreciate your information and we will book our stay at the Hilton. Efharisto

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City vs airport stay

Hey and welcome cvc47:-) I have to echo all the wonderful folks here;-) And yes, the rate is 35E for all 4 of you.. no surcharge, etc.. that's the full, total final cost;-) FWIW, the night rate doesn't go into effect till midnight so you're good to go with a 9:30p domestic arrival.. chances are you'll be at the Hilton within an hour if you opt for the cab.. take note that 10:30-11p is still early in Athens.. Greece in general;-) Head up the Galaxy Bar at the Hilton and take in the fabulous view of the City, Akropolis.. all floodlit in the evening. and even the Sea in the distance.. over a cocktail/snack;-)

FWIW, the Holiday Inn is about a 10 min drive from the airport.. as mentioned, in the middle of nowhere! You're coming the distance.. why spend the last 3 days lugging luggage around switching hotels?;-) If you head to the Hilton, you can unpack, relax.. and not be shuffling around the final 2 days.. you'll be settled and taking in 2 breakfast on both Sunday and Monday before heading out.. convenieint and practical;-) Have fun.. and enJOY!

Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
131 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City vs airport stay

Efharisto, Litsa.

I appreciate the information. With the information everyone here provided, it helped us make the final decision.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City vs airport stay

Our pleasure cvc47:-) Let us know how the planning' goes;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

9. Re: City vs airport stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014