We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about ferries

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
89 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Question about ferries

Hi there,

I was wondering since I'll be suffering from a pretty tight schedule unfortunately...

About how long would a taxi ride from Pireus port to Athens airport in the evening be?

My ferry is scheduled to arrive in Pireus (from Santorini) at 19:15 and my flight leaves at 22:30 from Athens airport (and since it's going to Israel I'll have to be there at least 90 minutes prior to that).

Do you think I can make it? lol do ferries normally arrive on time?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about ferries

Hey and welcome lalyil:-) Whether they run on time or not.. you'd certainly be cutting it very close;-) Assuming you arrive on time at 7:15p.. by the time you disembark and get a cab, you're looking at anywhere from about 15 min on up to half an hour.. possibly more! The run from the port to the airport normally takes about an hour .. it's traffic dependent so no guarantees there.. can be closer to 1.5 hours! Since you need to be at the airport for formalities 90 min prior, the latest you can show up is 9p.. so bottom line you've got a little more than 3 hours between ferry arrival and flight departure! If everything goes as clockwork.. and.. no backups/traffic en route, you 'should' make it;) Personal call of course.. personally, I wouldn't chance it.. too close for my comfort zone, lol;-)

Consider just grabbing a flight?;-) You won't worry about getting to the airport since you'll be right there arriving from Santorini.. or even better, fly or ferry in the day before and overnight in Athens?;-) Check both www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for flights.. you don't mention 'when' you are going.. but you can sign up for email alerts now for best deals! EnJOY!

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
89 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about ferries

Thank you very much :) yeah I guess I shouldn't chance it.

The thing is, I've been to Athens twice before so staying a night in Athens isn't so appealing to me since I only have 6 days to spend in Santorini. I was told the ferry from Athens to Santorini is a must and since I arrive in Athens at 10am I'm missing the first ferry out to Santorini which means if I take a later one I'll arrive in Santorini at a crazy hour during the night lol and if I take the ferry the night before my flight, I'll arrive in Athens at about 6am and with my luggage, I don't want to carry that around all day lol plus taking the ferry during the night probably isn't as beautiful..

I'm guessing the only way I could take the ferry and arrive in Santorini at a normal hour would be staying a night in Athens. Maybe I'll stay in Piraeus. Is there anything to do there for one day? Since I believe I've already done all the famous tourist attractions in Athens.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about ferries

Which ferry are you taking? There are ferries that have very bad punctuality record and not all are a 'must'.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about ferries

Here you can see more ideas about what to do in Athens

. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5999… .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about ferries

Also nice places for writing are

Gennadius Library

. ascsa.edu.gr/index.php/…visiting-the-library .

Nikos Hadjikyriakos-Ghika Gallery

. www.benaki.gr/index.asp… .

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about ferries

So, from what i get, you do have a flight arrival in Athens that does not allow you to take the first ferry, leaving time for the afternoon ferry which gets you late night at Santorini.

+

you do have a late flight departure from Athens, which means taking the early afternoon ferry that gets you back to Athens close to your flight.

Ok.

Let's see the case, based on what Ozzlem wisely says: The spectacular thing about a ferry trip to Santorini is the final sailing in the caldera, the inner sea of the island. This sailing done on a conventional ferry allows time for spectacular views to the cliffs of the island and it is a must indeed.

Nevertheless, ferries to Santorini are of two kinds: fast catamarans ( that do the trip fast but have NO decks to offer these views when sailing in, so they are a very good option for commuters but not an option for what you seek ) and slower conventional ferries ( which do the trip slower or somewhat slower but do have decks and allow this slower sailing in the caldera ; in this case the only company i 'd use would be Blue Star ferries, newest more reliable vessels, here: www.bluestarferries.gr/site/content.asp… )

Which is the ferry company and the vessels that gets you back to Piraeus at 19.15? Hellenic Seaways? If this is the one, they offer great vessels, fast, clean, good company but NO decks. This may be a solution to yoru dilemma anyway. I would definitely check that first, since you lay out your trip around this ferry sailing.

--------------------------------------

If the sailing with the ferry is not possible at the ened and you get flights both directions ( which is not bad realy, he he he, time saver there ), you can take one of the volcano boat trips that sail you to the volcano, hotsprings and perhaps Therasia. These trips are offered by many agencies, from the most simple sailings to the most private and most expensive. I 'd get the simple one, which was fine for me last time i did it.

This is what i 'd probably do: get flights and sail the caldera when there.

-------------------------------------

If you pick spending the night in Piraeus, you have many things to do, likewalking a the yach ports, visiting the local museum, while i have a hard time to believe you won't have options in Athens too, even after two visits, as Aldro10 says :)) i 'd even check this which seems to be getting rave reviews here: http://www.athens-walks.com/ for a walking tour, a food tour or a tour to the Jewish museum, the Synagogue and relative attractions if this is of your interests.

Edited: 3:03 am, January 19, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about ferries

I have since figured out that the ferry in question could be Adam. Korais - it seems to be the only one with Piraeus arrival time at 19:15. Adam. Korais is OK for the caldera ride as it is open-decked but not really for going back to Athens - the journey time is <12 hours!

Since you will be in Santorini for 6 days, there are easier ways of having the caldera experience than getting stuck on a ferry for 12 hours. One way is what Nick suggested - go on a boat trip. The other - go on a day trip to Ios. Depending on when you are planning to go, most days of the week there are open-decked ferries that will get you to Ios in the morning (Adam. Korais) or around midday (Ag. Georgios, Artemis). The journey time is about 1.5 hours. You can then go back to Santorini on the daily open-decked Blue Star ferry at 14:15 (takes about an hour). That way you can see the caldera from a ferry not once but twice!

The time you will get in Ios ranges from around 5 hours to just about an hour or so, so choose a day depending on whether you want to see Ios Chora or not. It is well worth a visit and it is within walking distance of the port but you will not be able to see it in an hour.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
89 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about ferries

Wow, thank you so much Ozzlem, nick_arch and aldro! You've been extremely helpful.

The length of the ferry trip was actually attracting me lol I love ferry rides. So I ended up booking a night in Piraeus' Hotel Phidias, is the Planetarium nearby? Either way I'll enjoy getting to know the area. I'm taking Blue Star Ferries the next morning. So I'll reach Santorini around 3pm. The day trip to Ios sounds like a good idea anyway as does the volcano boat ride.

And I'm taking Olympic Air back to Athens a few hours before the flight back.

I know Athens quite well cos the two times I was there before I was mostly just walking. I love the city but really want to get to know new places. :)

9. Re: Question about ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 21, 2014