We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens over Easter weekend

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Athens over Easter weekend

We suddenly find ourselves with the option of being in Athens from May 4 through the morning of May 7 2013 following a tour of Greece. Will sites be open and functioning on Easter Sunday and Monday?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Hey and welcome Jeep61:-) Not Sunday, the 5th.. after all, it is Easter:-) Hopefully someone will kick in re Monday! Have fun.. and enJOY!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Monday is a holiday too.

Southern California
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

As I noted in the initial post when the Istanbul extension for our Odysseys Unlimited Classic Greek Isle tour was cancelled we found ourselves with the task of filling three extra days in Athens - the challenge was that the three days were May 4 through 6, 2013 which happens to be Orthodox Easter weekend. The outlook seemed grim but with perseverance we found solutions. Kostas at Athens Walks Tours (http://www.athens-walks.com) was able to place us in two of his walking tours: Athens Hills and Food Tours. We are excited to have such great options! Kostas has been very responsive to my various questions and the reviews I read say we will delighted with the tours.

I also found these web sites helpful in deciphering what was available during Orthodox Easter weekend.

true-athens.com/wordpress/…

and

livingingreece.gr/2011/…

However, I am also contacting each venue to confirm the hours each is open during the weekend since the web pages are possibly not up to date and I am not sure if the information is 100% correct.

The lesson I learned is to keep searching and searching... Being an optimist I knew something would work out. Now I know we will have a great weekend in Athens.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

The Acropolis Museum advises they are open on Easter Saturday (4 May) 0800 - 1500 hours .....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

''The outlook seemed grim''. Well, now you've found the walking tours which sound really interesting and it seems that the Acropolis Museum will be open on Saturday. Apart from that, you will be in Athens during the most significant weekend of the Greek year. Plaka would be a good place to experience the atmosphere at midnight on Saturday, but all over Athens the church bells will be ringing and fireworks will be exploding. It's a joyful time to be here: you won't be disappointed.

Southern California
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. Yes, there is this thing called "Serendipity" and things usually do work out if you persist and keep a positive attitude. Kostas at Athens Walks Tours has been a terrific find. We are looking forward to having a wonderful time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

.. I echo NikolettaG:-) Kostas is a gem.. am sure you will have a blast;-) Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.. keep enJOYin'!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Jeep 61 - I may see you on one of the tours at this time!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Hopefully you will have a wonderful trip to Greece! Please add your review for the Odysseys Unlimited Classic Greek Isles tour.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens over Easter weekend

Thanks for the tip. I will also be in Athens this weekend, not realizing it was Easter weekend! I'll see if they have room on this tour.