We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Mykonos

San Diego
13 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Mykonos

I am going to Greece for my honeymoon. Was thinking about booking a one-way flight from Athens to Mykonos and then waiting to reserve a ferry for the way back to Athens for when we get there. Does this seem like a good plan? Is there any chance we will not be able to get a ferry back to Athens? This is my first trip to Greece so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Mykonos

not bad...just book your tickets 2-3 days before your departure fro mykonos...if you are traveling at july or august prebook your tickets one week later......are the peak season months

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Mykonos

Greetings and Congratulations! Agree w/Gas....a couple of days before your departure would be fine....you'll have choices too (if it's peak months especially July/August) of ferries or flying dolphins (superfast hydrofoils)....Enjoy your honeymoon!!!!

San Diego
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Mykonos

Thanks for the info.!

We are going in the middle of July so I'll make sure to reserve something at least a few days before we depart back to Athens. These flying dolphins sound interesting, should I look into one of those instead of a ferry? Also, I am about to book our plane ticket from Athens to Greece. I have been quoted 80 euros on Aegean per person. I have heard mention of a 19 euro special but haven't been able to find it. Should I just book the flight for 80 euros or try to wait and see if the flight will go down in price?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Aegean
Aegean
665 Reviews
Olympia, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Mykonos

Hi dhanson182.

19euros, 19days before was an offer package of Aegean airlines

www.aegeanair.com/aegeanen/home/index.asp

19 euros is a net price, without VAT or adittional taxes, which are always high here on Europe.

After adding VAT and taxes, price gets 46 euros per person, instead 96 per person on a midday flight or 80 on an evening flight.

Offer is still on but on limited trips, most usual early morning or evening ones.

It is a good offer, even with all surcharges, getting to a price nearly half of the initial one.

On the other hand, it has some early morning taxi commuting to the airport which finally adds on your actual payment amount.

Browse a little at the site to find some suitable flight. You can see the full amount by proceeding to the credit card charge page, but NOT finalising your order by giving your cc number.

For sure, unfortunately prices never go down. They always go up!

:)

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Mykonos

Well, Nick sure has the low-down on the air....Re ferries vs flying dolphins...depends on how fast you want to get back to Athens..and..if you want to experience the true and original 'island hopping' method...which would be the good 'ol ferries...totally different experience as on the ferry you really experience cruising the sea...laid back..coffee/food shops, you can walk around outside, watch TV inside in the lounge....The flying dolphin on the other hand will cut your trip time in half but it's like sitting in an airplane! They have a snack bar but no 'outside' seating...you can stand....so the choice is really yours! If you're pressed for time, go for the dolphin....if you've got the time to lay back and enjoy, I would suggest the ferry...it's an experience you won't soon forget....either way...Enjoy your honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece