We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece Trip Planning

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Greece Trip Planning

Is this the best forum for general trip advice? Would love folks to weigh-in on my trip planning.

I'm planning a 10 day trip to Greece in June (9-20) with my husband and two boys 14 & 17. We want to explore Athens and two islands. We fly into Athens on June 10. We are Starwood Gold members and will have points to spend. Trying to avoid 2 paying for 2 hotel rooms but not finding many suites that can sleep four.

Looking for nice hotels in great location for easy touring.

Aegan Air flight to Santorini for 3 nights. Then ferry to Mykonos for 3 nights. Then back to Athens for final night or just ferry to airport.

Is this reasonable Itin?

What hotel in Athens would you recommend? Is it worth two rooms at the Bretagne?

Any good city tours in Athens either private or public that will allow us to see the major sites in 2 days?

Any hotel recs for our group on the island?

Is it worth considering a small motor yacht tour from Athens to see several islands? Who is a good vendor for this?

Many thanks for any advice.

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Athens by Bike
Private Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
PK Travel
Bus Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
H.P. Tours - Hellenic Private Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
palm coast, fl
Level Contributor
504 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Greece Trip Planning

Make sure you get to the new Acropolis Museum.. not to be missed.

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Greece Trip Planning

Is business class on Blue Star better than the air seats?

Olympic Air is already sold out from Naxos to Athens on June 17. Do they add more flights? Also looks like ferries are booking up so I don't want to wait until I get there. Any co's to avoid? The high speeds don't seem to rate as well as Blue Star.

Edited: 8:30 pm, May 19, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Greece Trip Planning

Here you can get an idea of the Blue Star ferries:

Most common ferries in Greece:

HighSpeed ferries are all enclosed and they are less stable in high winds and bad weather. On the Blue Star you can move freely around on the outside decks, and enjoy the views of the islands you are passing.

It is unlikely that more flights will be added to the Olympic route for Naxos than what is shown here (click on Naxos to find the schedules):

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Greece Trip Planning

I have been put on the wait list at Olympic for 5 seats. They will let me know by May 25 if they can book this flight. I think I will book Blue Star Santorini to Naxos and then wait on the Naxos to Athens leg. Bluestar has 2 boats that day one at 9:30am and the new boat at 6pm. Is it a safe bet that this will NOT sell out?

Is this a trip better done during the day (9:30a to 3p) or on the new boat at night (6p - 11p)?

Also is business class the way to go on the new and old Bluestar vessels? I have looked at the website but frankly it's hard to tell what you get in business class. Access to the lounge but no assigned seat? How about with a cabin? Do you also have lounge access with that ticket? It's a long ferry ride at 5.5 hours so I'm trying to figure this out for maximum comfort.

There is another option: ferry to Mykonos and fly to Athens from there. Olympic does have availabilty. Is it nuts to consider that option? 1.5 ferry and 30 min flight if all goes well. :-)

Thanks for your advice.

Edited: 10:50 am, May 20, 2013
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Greece Trip Planning

We've gone business class every time that we've used Blue Star, but have never used the seating- always stayed in the lounge. There is table service in the lounge and it's much quieter/nicer than economy (although that still doesn't look bad). I don't know that there is really that much difference between the new and old vessels. The cabins are very nice, but I don't know that I would bother unless I was exhausted- lounge entrance is included with the cabins.

26. Re: Greece Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 22, 2014