We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

we only have a day on a port stop in November and would prefer not to be part of (or limited by) the cruise cattle bus. So much to see...so looking forward to it.

Has anyone used a tour guide they can recommend?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

tour guide or taxi driver? or both?? because they're two VERY different things...

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

Good day. My husband and I are doing a Greece Cruise next year. We have cruised before and found the ships tour fees are quite expensive. I was wondering about the reliability and quality of the tour operators outside of the cruise ships that are stading around when the ships doc. Panionara, if you are able to expound on both (tour operator and taxi) that would be so helpful or just the one that you are familiar with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

The main sights of Athens are all very central, and almost all of them are within a short walk of each other, in a pedestrian-only area. You can reach them and see them very easily by yourself, without a taxi (which couldn't take you right up to them in any case) and without a guide (although if you want a guide to the Acropolis there are always licensed guides, many of them English- speaking, at the entrance to the site).

If your ship is docking early, I suggest you go straight to the Acropolis. It opens at 8 am, and if you get there a little before then, you will be able to see it in peace and quiet before the tours arrive at around 10. After an hour or two there you can walk down to the Acropolis Museum, which will greatly enhance your visit to the Acropolis. There is a nice restaurant for a proper lunch, and a café for a quick snack. In the afternoon you may want to visit some of the other historic sites, or, if you want to do some shopping, stroll around in the Plaka, which is a short walk away.

Peruse this site - see "Things to Do" on the right - and get yourself a good guidebook so that you can decide what you'd like to do in the time that you have, go at your own pace, and make the most of it.

Have a good day!

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

Either. I was told today that in Athens (especially) there are plenty of available taxi drivers at the port and venturing with any of them should not be an issue at a fraction of the cruise ship price. However, I like to work with recommendations.

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

Thank You Alabastron, that was super helpful....how long of a drive from the port to the Acropolis? We get in at 7am and will definetely plan on getting an early start.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

You're welcome, Josephine. There will indeed be plenty of taxis at the port, and the trip shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes depending on traffic, or cost more than 20 euros. I don't think you need to book a taxi in advance - it might hold you up if it didn't arrive, and it would almost certainly be more expensive.

If your ship is docking at 7, and you position yourself so as to be among the first people off it, you should be able to get to the Acropolis before 8, and it will be a wonderful start to a wonderful day.

7. Re: tour guide / taxi driver recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 15, 2013