We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from airport to downtown athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from airport to downtown athens

Approx how much will a taxi cost from the airport to downtown? Should we negotiate a price before getting into the cab? We are leaving Tues for Athens.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from airport to downtown athens

What time is the trip and where are you heading?

Taxi fare to the very center, is flat ( 35 euros or 50 euros at late night, more here: www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=988&langid=2 ) and includes ALL, again: ALL surcharges, fees, tolls and taxes of any kind if you take it from the queue. No reason to negotiate.

Edited: 5:03 pm, September 29, 2012
Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from airport to downtown athens

Thanks! We should arrive at 1:00 p.m. on Wed. My wife says that our hotel is 2 blocks from a Metro stop on line 3. We won't have much luggage and she is pushing for us to take it. What do you think?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from airport to downtown athens

Take Metro. We arrived around same time on September 28th. Metro was about 14 Euros for a two person ticket. Well worth saving, because the taxi would have been 35 Euros. Metro took 40 minutes. Got off on Syntagma station & walked two city blocks to hotel. Are you staying at "New Hotel" by any chance?If so, walk out of exit that says "Syntagma Square" . Glad we did it because on the way back to US flight, the taxi was 55 Euros because of night rate. We left at 4 am and I didn't want to be on Metro at that time.

Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from airport to downtown athens

Thanks! My wife will be happy! We aren't staying at the New Hotel. I forget the name, but I would remember if it was the new hotel.

5. Re: transportation from airport to downtown athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 14, 2013