We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

I travel by myself quite often, and have rented cars in many European countries. I generally do not get nervous about heading out by myself, but I've heard many stories about how high the accident rate is in Greece. I have rented a car to drive from Athens airport to Meteora, but I'm not sure if this was the best idea. Can anyone give me an idea of what the roads are like, and maybe some driving advice on how to be safe.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Meteora
Meteora
4,150 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

It is safe if you drive in the national highway that leads to Thessaloniki,following Attiki odos from the airport will lead you to the highway,better to stay in the National road as long as possible,exit at Larissa to get to Trikala and then Kalambaka.

Just drive as normal,accidents happen,this does not mean it will happen to you.Drive during daylight hours,roads in the country side dont have enough electric light sometimes not at all.

Edited: 4:30 pm, September 27, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kalambaka
Kalambaka
Trikala Region, Greece
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

The roads are quite dangerous once you exit the national highway (most provincial roads are 3rd world style and not in the best condition),drive carefully and be careful of the horrible driving of the locals.

> I've heard many stories about how high the accident rate is in Greece<

these are not stories but the truth,Greece has the worst traffic accident record in Europe,the result of poor roads,horrible driving habits and the complete absence of road policing.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

You will be fine, drive defensively, take note that slower drivers stay to the far right, using the shoulder, Stop along the way, and take a couple breathers.

Enjoy the sights, Meteora is so worth it. Have fun!

4. Re: Nervous about the drive from Athens to Meteora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 14, 2013