We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Greek island with a young family?

Kent
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which Greek island with a young family?

I am treating my husband and two children (6 and 10 years old) to a holiday and have my heart set on a Greek island. What I can't seem to do is settle on which one!

We would be looking for somewhere clean, cheery and beautiful, close to the beach and with easy access from the UK (ie, not too many transfers or hassles). We would also like somewhere that is child-friendly and good fun but with space to relax and unwind.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
967 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

Try islands like Corfu, Zakynthos and Rodos. I think they tick most of your boxes and are usually well connected with direct flights from the UK...

Which month do you plan on visiting by the way?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

It looks like you will have a package. If so check what is available, do a little research on those options and return here for some dedicated questions and advice.

Please also tell when you are coming and for how long.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

I recommend Sifnos in the Cyclades. Still not overly built up but with plenty to do. Nice beaches at several towns, good selection of tavernas and business and the beautiful hilltop village of Kastro overlooking the Aegean. It has been occupied for centuries and has the narrow alleyways and intimate atmosphere with a beautiful church on an outcropping on the ocean side. Highly recommend it. Sifnos is still "Greek" if that is what you are looking for.

Kent
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

Thank you crazyh, I'll shall look Sifnos up straight away.

We are travelling next August. I will do some further research and come back to pick your brains!

Thanks for the replies.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

There are many Greek Islands that still retain their "old" ways and there are many others that have been "updated". It all depends on what you want and can afford. Santorini & Mykonas are probably the most popular, especially Santorini with it's spectacular scenery but both tend to be very crowded during the High Season. More expensive but you do get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with that, but we don't go to the islands for night life or action . . . just want to see a more traditional way of life, walk around, talk to locals, eat Greek food & drink Greek wine. I think Sifnos was a good choice for us and I think you will love it. Like anything else do your research, visit web sites and ask questions on a forum like this.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
967 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

Good advice. If you're going in August, avoid the islands I previously mentioned and go for somewhere like Sifnos, Serifos or Milos....

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

I agree about Sifnos. For August you will have to book accommodation in advance as well as ferries both ways. I suggest that you stay in Kamares (great gently sloping sandy beach and good cheap restaurants) and hire a car (buses will be a bit too busy for a family of four in August) for a few days to visit all the nice places and beaches on this beautiful island. The taverna on the beach at Apokfto is a must.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

We were there in mid-October and stayed in Kamares. We were just a few mintues walk from the town center but far enough out that there was a goat/sheep farm just below the accommodation . . . so you felt you were in a rural area. We had a view of the bay also. That time of season is considered Low Season . . . so many businesses, tavernas, shops were closed but enough was open to keep us happy. We took buses to get to all the towns on the island. Appollonia & Artemonus were beautiful and you could walk a narrow lane between the two. Kastro was walkable from Appollonia and indeed was a nice walk. Kastro was worth the effort to explore. Two beach towns, Vathi & Platis Gialis had beautiful beaches but were basically deserted, with almost everything closed. Heronosis is a small fishing village on the north tip of the island and was very nice. Again most everything closed, but the pottery shop was open and we visited with one of the last old-time potters. Sifnos is a real Greek Island and well worth the visit.

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

Any of the islands will be child friendly.

Would not recommend Santorini with children, mostly because the beaches are largely volcanic lava, and not fine sand - both of ours hated the place for this reason. It may be very scenic and beautiful, but all young children really want is a nice beach and the sea.

Sifnos is a lovely island and also fully recommend it, however getting there can be a faff, especially with getting a UK flight to tie up with the ferry times. Depends what you mean by "not too many transfers or hassles".

If you don't want the hassle of ferry transfers, I would recommend one of the islands with an airport that takes international flights - Kos, Rhodes, Crete. Mykonos can be a bit too busy for comfort. Corfu, Kefalonia also OK. However you do need to pick your resort carefully to avoid the "18-30" brigade. Thassos is also a nice island, but you do require a short boat trip to get there.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Greek island with a young family?

Must agree with DaveUK, Santorini beaches are NOT for children. And the place is getting more touristic as time goes by, always has been.

Having visited Sifnos countless times, I would also recommend this island. Rent a car, distances are very short, enjoy a day in Kastro, lunch and swim there, and make perhaps day trips from Kamares to different villages. You will love it, although August there will be too many people.