We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop on hop off bus in athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TORONTO CANADA
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
hop on hop off bus in athens

hi there anybody knows if i can buy hop on hop off ticket in athens airport? i know i can buy in the net but no time to wait for delivery.

we used hop on hop off bus in honking & shanghai was worth it so we like to join this bus again athens.

anybody used this bus this year 2012.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
861 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

You can get it usually at anyone of their stop points. Tell us where you'll be staying and I'll tell you where your nearest stop is.

I haven't used it, but I personally don't think it's a suitable concept for Athens. There are too many pedestrian streets and narrow parts where the bus is not allowed to go unfortunately. The 'happy train' I think is good because it is allowed through the pedestrian zones and I believe it's only 5 euro, compared to 15 for hop on/hop off....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

Theres no reason to pre-purchase a ticket for the HOHO bus. Just go to one of its stops (check online to see the route map ) and buy your ticket when you board it. This is how its done all over the world.

Btw, there are at least 2 different companies offering HOHO tours, so check them both to see which one you prefer.

The 'happy train' is like a kids' choo-choo train with wheels instead of tracks that does a small route in central Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
861 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

Fair enough Evan, but I think it goes closer to and past much more important sites, the HoHo only goes on main roads.

I personally would recommend taking a walking tour, because all the main sites of Athens are so close, that the bus, even metro is not necessary if you want to see the sites.

TORONTO CANADA
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

Thank you! I'm interested to join the walking tour what's the name of the company tour.

Also I'm thinking to book a whole day tour in Athens city in order to visit at least 5-7 tourist spots in Athens but it's very expensive can you recommend a better way to visit go around Athens aside from walking tour.

We like to visit most of the historical stuff

Interested in fish spa too do you have any idea how much will it cost ask to go to the fish spa from nicola hotel in Athens

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

99% of the sites you may be interested about, are located in the city center, in a very central defined area, around 1 square mile.

Walking is the best way to see them, since this is a very small are which is also mosty pestrianized.

No need to book a tour, while if you have no mobility issues, walking will be the simplest, cheapest and most rewarding.

Edited: 10:19 am, May 20, 2012
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

( either going for a walking tour or walking it diy ).

Edited: 10:20 am, May 20, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

www.athenswalkingtours.gr

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

We have used HOHO buses in a couple cities and loved it. However, the one in Athens which we just tried in May 2012 was disappointing - not because of the route, but because of the way they misinformed customers. We bought the tickets at the Plaka stop on a Saturday afternoon from the on site sales girl who collected our cash. She told us those tickets were good for unlimited rides for the rest of Saturday and full day Sunday. We enjoyed the ride on Saturday evening. On Sunday morning, we waited a long time at one stop but no bus came by. There were a couple tourists who had just come in from a cruise waiting with us. They were hoping to use their HOHO tickets to take a quick day tour before their cruise ship leaves that afternoon. Finally, my husband and I decided to walk to the destination and when we saw a sales person for that HOHO company and asked her the whereabouts of the bus she matter-of-factly stated that the buses were not in service that day because roads were blocked off for the Acropolis Marathon, and she could not tell us when the buses would start running again that day! So basically we paid for something we could not use. We complained that they should have told us about the scheduled stoppage when we had bought the tickets the day before. She couldn't give an answer. We asked for part of our money back and so she called her manager. The manager told us on the phone that if we wanted a refund, they could only do that if we provided our US bank account info. Of course we refused to do that. We couldn't understand why the manager could not have the sales girl give us back cash and settled it. Needless to say we didn't get to use the service at all that day. We hoped those cruise tourists did not wait for too long or worse, missed their boat. Good thing many sites were within walking distance.

9. Re: hop on hop off bus in athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, July 09, 2013