We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Bristol, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Hi

we are flying to Athens on 16th july and will arrive late (21.30pm) with our 3 boys (10, 6 and 4).

We'll need to reach Piraeus for a boat trip the next day.

Any ideas of where to sleep on our arrival day, on the way to Piraeus (ie not too far from the airport either !)

Or is it better to go to athens center for an hotel ?

Thank you for your help !!

Cat

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Hi there

The best thing to do is to make the ride into central Athens and book a room(s) for the night. There are many hotels in the central area, depends upon your budget of course. Easy to reach central Athens from the airport, by the 24/7/365 X95 airport bus which runs every 20-30 minutes, or take a taxi, or take the Metro.

From Athens, it's easy to reach Piraeus by Metro or taxi.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
973 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

If I were you, I'd try and stay close to Monastiraki Station. This station has the blue line (airport) and green line (port) for the metro, so you won't be wasting any time at all.

I don't know what your budget is, but here are a few hotel suggestions:

A for Athens

AthenStyle

Pella Inn

Bristol, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Thank you !

I tried to see if we coul take a boat from Rafina (closer to the airport) as we are going to Kos, but it looks unlikely as I didn't find any boat connections...

Thanks for the advice !

if you need info for France (Savoie, Jura, Normandie) or Bristol... please ask !!!

Edited: 10:38 am, April 17, 2012
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Depending on your budget the Sofitel Hotel is across the road from Arrivals , then around 6.00am take the X96 shuttle bus to Piraeus.

Don't think Rafina has any ferries to Kos.

Domestic flights?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Most ferry departures from Piraeus to Kos leave in the evening, so you may as well stay in central Athens and do a little sightseeing during the day. If there is a departure on the 17th, it will arrive on Kos early AM on the 18th.

A flight will get you there nearly a day earlier. :o)

Edited: 1:34 pm, April 17, 2012
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

If you dont plan to go out for some night time sightseeing I think it would be better to stay at a Piraeus hotel in order make the morning trip to the port as easy and trouble free as possible. Assuming there wont be any delays you ll be out of the airport at 22.00 max. Thats not late at all for Athens standards. Theres no reason to stay at the airport Sofitel and face a long early morning trip to the port next morning.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
120 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

If you want to stay near the airport but don't want the expense and corporateness of the Sofitel, then I'd recommend the St Thomas B&B. It's in Peania, which is about 10 mins drive from the airport. The lady who runs it, Janet, is British and usually willing to pick up and drop off at airport, metro etc. Check out the reviews of it here on TripAdvisor. Highly recommended.

Bristol, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

I think the sofitel is our of budget for us anyway !! thanks for the tips on B&B, might try that, and am looking for hotels around the station as well, as our boat is on the 18th (so we have a all day to visit Athens too !)

Thanks all !

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

Perios Hotel is also close to the airport:

http://www.perishotelapt.gr/

10. Re: late arrival in Athens airport, accomodation help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, June 19, 2013