We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Newbie looking for advice

Bolton
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Newbie looking for advice

Hey TA's we are off for a short break to Athens staying with friends in February and are really looking forward to soaking up some culture whilst there as well as indulging in some wonderful food, wine and hospitality from our friends.

A couple of questions, weather wise what to pack, I am guessing pack for all eventualities right??

Secondly can you all recommend definite must sees and do's whilst there...

We are definately visiting the Acropolis and the museum but all suggestions much appreciated

Our friends will hopefully take us to places off the beaten track so we can sample the real greece also as opposed to visiting all the tourist attractions.

All advice and assistance very much appreciated.

Michelle xx

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

Hello!

On a leisure trip, I strongly disagree there should be must sees or must dos or must whatever. Do and see what suits your interests and mood. Hard to advice without knowing what you are after.

The Athens forum Top Questions hold a huge ammount of useful tips and information. You may have a look there to get some ideas.

Weather wise, getting dressed in layers always does the trick for me. A very reliable site for weather forecast in Greece is here:

http://www.meteo.gr

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

We went in early March this year & whilst the locals were shivering, we found it quite pleasant to walk around with just a light jacket during the day & an extra fleece layer in the evening. Being from Bolton (the cold north) you might feel quite comfortable in the same local conditions, but of course who knows what the weather can do anywhere these days! Best to have layers, plus sturdy footwear for all that walking & I would also pack a light waterproof jacket &/or umbrella (as I did but did not need to use).

With friends to guide you you will make the best use of time as they can take care of the logistics of getting from place to place (we were fortunate also in this respect). What you actually see will be governed by your own likes/dislikes of course but the main sites are all in very easy walking distance so you will be suprised how much you can fit into a short space. But do aim to start early in the morning as the daylight hours of course will be shortened.

Apart from the usual classical sites we enjoyed the colourful & busy food markets & Lyccabetus Hill - stunning views from up there.

Have a great trip - it is an amazing city!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

I think you should trust your friends to take you to the places you will enjoy the most. I think the best when visiting a country is to be hanging out with locals. But as advice from strangers goes, we need to know how long you'll stay, some basic info about you e.g. your age and general interests (if you want to share, of course) whereabouts you will be staying (centre? the suburbs?) and really what you want out of a holiday.

As for weather in Athens in February, it ranges from snow (no more than a week or so but it could fall right at the time you come), and lots of it, to perfectly pleasant summer days. Since it is a short stay, check out the forecast and email your friends to get an idea of which end of the spectrum to expect.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

Hi there

I'm sure your friends will take you to the main outdoor sights, these are all quite close together and the top seven are covered by a €12 inclusive ticket to include..

Acropolis

Temple of Zeus

Theatre of Dionysos

Ancient agora

Roman aora

Karameikos

Hadrian's Library

The ticket can be bought at any of them and includes entrance to all seven. Many other top sights are free to view such as Hadrian's arch, the Roman baths' excavations, the Panathinaic Stadium, National Gardens, Presidential Palace, and do not miss the amazing markets on Athinas St. Totally agree that for the best view of Athens, take the funicular to the summit of Lycavettos Hill and view the city from almost a thousand feet high.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

If you want to get off the beaten track check out Mt Parnitha, just outside Athens. A nice area for hiking.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

The Temple of Poseidon in Sounion is also a great site and the overall scenery ( temple built on the edge of the cape) is breathtaking. You can also arrange day trips to the nearby islands of Aigina, Poros, Hydra and Spetses. Be aware however, that January and Fedruary are pretty cold even by British standards.

Enjoy your trip.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26559-15_days_…

my athens triplist isn't finished yet, but maybe it can give you some inspiration already...

8. Re: Athens Newbie looking for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 27, 2012