We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens-Before or After

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Athens-Before or After

I've been reading the forums here, quite frequently. I'll briefly tell you my plans. I am leaving for Europe in mid September and will be gone for 10 weeks. In the beginning of November, I'll be flying into Athens from Istanbul (yes, I know the weather issues). From

Athens, I'm flying to Santorini for 4 days, then returning back to Athens.

My original plan is just to stay in Athens for that one day and fly to Santorini the next; then on my return stay in Athens for several days (I've never been to Athens or Santorini before). According to my reading on here, this would be the best way of doing things.

Does anyone have any comment or thoughts?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens-Before or After

I think most of us would suggest you go straight to Santorini (as long as flight times work out). You're at the airport anyway, so it makes more sense to continue on than to go into Athens and back out to the airport the next day.

Don't worry about the weather. Rain is a possibility, but it will have cooled off and November in Athens can be lovely! And Santorini is much further south, so you may be lucky there too.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens-Before or After

Hello!

Definitely fly to Santorini first. Being on the mainland at least one day before your departure for another country is the sensible thing to do. You never know what might happen and cancel a flight or a ferry and leave you on the island while your flight is departing from Athens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens-Before or After

I also do recommend you to go directly to Santorini and then to come back to Athens. Weather could be chilly thought also in Santorini, mostly due to the wind - so bring a scarf and of course your camera because you will take hundreds of pics there - you will love it !

I write a blog on my trips to Greece where I wrote about Santorini and Athens

ciao !

www.sunnygreece.it

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens-Before or After

Greetings. My husband and I are traveling to Athens with our two small children. We'd like to avoid a lot of noisy congestion and possible protesting. We are traveling the 2nd week in July. Can you recommend a nice 3 or 4 star hotel that is family friendly in Athens? We will also spend two days in Santorini so hotel suggestions in both place are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens-Before or After

Hello!

Please post a new topic, including your budget (in euros). Forum members won't find your question in this topic.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens-Before or After

Thank you all for your replies. I'm a tad "anal," so I am not sure about going directly to Santorini from Athens. Although, looking at the flight schedules, there should be enough time.

In so far as the "chilly." I enjoy cold weather, which is why I always travel in the off season. Don't like crowds of people either. Goretex and fleece was invented for a reason :-)

7. Re: Athens-Before or After

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 02, 2012