We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

I've been to Athens before and enjoy the city very much. However, I would love the chance to explore one of the nearby islands. Unfortunately, my schedule only gives me 2 days off. Any suggestions on which islands are somewhat non touristy and close enough to get to from Athens with such time constraints? Thanks for your help! (I'll be there the first weekend of July if that helps at all)

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Saronic gulf has Aegina,Poros,Hydra and Spetses,most of them get a lot o tourists and locals because they are very close to Athens.

Another option is Syros,a very nice island still not far from Athens.

July in the first week wont be as busy as in later dates or in August.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Skyros, in the Sporades, virtually the same distance as Syros. Bus and ferry link from Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Try Tinos! Beautiful and not so touristy as the other nearby islands, especially if you leave the capital (Chora) and you visit the smaller villages. Second option Tzia (Kea), more popular among Greeks, but not so full of tourists and with some nice beaches.

Also Andros is relatively quiet though larger, couple of hours from Rafina as well.

Ferries to all 3 leave from Rafina.

Enjoy!

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Going to Rafina is time and money consuming,I would rather go to an island from Piraeus port,if it takes one hour or more to Rafina then you can be in Aegina by that time.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
972 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Andros is nice and close, but involves going from Rafina unfortunately.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Hiya!

Although it's a wonderful island, I would definitely not choose Skyros. You'd have to go to the bus station, take the bus to Kymi, then the ferry to Skyros... for just two days it doesn't make sense to me.

Syros is a wonderful suggestion and if you can afford the high speed you'll be there in zero time!

From the Saronic Islands, I'd leave out Hydra and Spetses (overpriced, very touristy) and head to either Aegina or Poros. If you choose to go on weekdays, you'll have them all to yourself!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Poros is absolutely horrible! Don't go there,we want to keep it for us.

Can't be doing with damn tourists:-)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Shame on you, Curry!!! ;-)

Edited: 3:04 pm, June 17, 2011
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

Dont they have an airport in Skyros ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best (non touristy) island to get to from Athens?

..Skyros does indeed have an airport..use to be serviced by Olympic but appears the route was picked up by Sky Express:-) Regardless, with only 2 days/1 night, have to agree that it may not be the most convenient choice unless the flight schedules make for a convenient outing..and if flygirl604 doesn't mind a flight..in which case, would open up an array of options;-) Enjoy!