We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Topic
Living in Athens

I would like to know which areas of Athens are the most common areas chosen to live in.

I don't see this in my near future, but I still would like to know where it is best to live, striking a balance between price, safety and convenience.

My idea is to rent/buy an apartment somewhere not very far from the main activity centers of Athens, in a safe area, but not too pricy either.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Athens

Kangy, pretty much all areas (with the exception of a couple of inner city neighbourhoods) are safe, so really what it comes down to is how close you want to be to the centre, how much you're planning to rely on public transport, if at all (and what kind of public transport you prefer), how close you want to be to the sea, mountains or large parks / open spaces, how quiet vs. how busy etc. Also, obviously how fancy you want your accommodation and how much you can afford to spend. Areas like Kifissia, Glyfada and Ambelokipi are particularly foreigner-friendly, so you may be happier there particularly if you don't speak much Greek, but prices fluctuate a lot depending on the area (Kifissia is more expensive than Glyfada which in turn is more expensive than Ambelokipi) and where in the area you'll be based.

If this isn't something you need to decide on immediately, I suggest you do some prep instead. Learn some Greek (if not already a speaker), visit Athens to get an idea of the place (some suburbs look nothing like the city centre), ride the metro out to the residential areas and walk around, also check out the classifieds sections of English language newspapers, as these are aimed primarily at people like you: http://www.athensnews.gr/classifieds

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Athens

Dear Kangy, as a foreigner, living in Athens there are a couple of areas I would suggest you

A little expensive but worth it - Kwlonaki, Glyfada, Kifisia

Less expensive but nice - Pangrati (close to Kalimarmaro area) and Maroussi

It's good to learn some Greek :) but here everybody speaks English. In case you come and you need to study Greek I have a good school to suggest you - I attended Greek lessons there. Just send me and email and I will be happy to help !

I have a blog also on my trips in Greece (for sure you will be visiting all the fantastic greek islands if you are living here :) where there is also a post on Athens

www.sunnygreece.it

Buenos Aires...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Athens

Thank you for your replies!

I'm not planning this for the near future, just toying with the idea of living in Athens in some years. And as it is, I'm not planning a tourist trip either YET. I will definitely go, but I still don't know when. I hope I will be able to get a good job and my partner too.

What I'm mostly interested in is:

-a nice area (not too fancy, not too ugly)

-near busy areas but not chaos

OR -far from busy areas but taking only a short time to get there

But I do think that visiting Athens would be the best idea to help me make up my mind, and seeing what it has to offer to me, of course. As for the language, I've been attending Greek lessons for two months now, so that's covered.

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Athens

Sounds like a great plan Kangy1989..welcome:-) While there..whenever you decide to visit, would also suggest taking a look/walk around the Koukaki/Makriyanni area in Athens..it's a wonderful neighborhood filled with locals..yet super close/easy walk to both Akropolis and Akropolis Museum..Plaka areas! I only sub-leased there for a bit although I didnt use the apartment as much as I thought I would..and totally loved it;-) Best..and Enjoy!

Edited: 9:52 am, May 06, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,474 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Athens

>>I'm not planning a tourist trip either YET. <<

Kangy, are you saying you've never even visited Athens? Wouldn't it be a good idea to before you even think about living there?

Just wondering!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Athens

I'm with Alabastron on this one. Athens is lovely , but it's not to everyone's taste. A lot of it can be described as congested and ugly, it's noisy, and chaos is its middle name (but it does depend on what you're used to). Any residential areas that are comfortable, serene, green and pretty tend to be far away from the city centre and also hard to reach on public transport.

Edited: 1:10 pm, May 06, 2011
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Athens

Also, there are many sides to this ...for a realistic look at the ups AND downs of residing in Greece (supposing you can even wangle a residency visa), see this comprehnsive website: http://livingingreece.gr/

8. Re: Living in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 29, 2012