We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini

We will be visiting Greece in April. Our plan was to visit Santorini first and then spend 3 days in Athens before flying to London. In order to save time we have decided to fly from Rome to Santorini via Athens. The problem is that there is a 4 hour stopover (from 14:00 to 18:00)in Athens, which seem to be an incredible waste of time. We are considering splitting the trip from Rome to Santorini instead. This would mean that we would arrive in Athens at 14:00 on the 6th and then catch the flight to Santorini at 18:00 the next day instead. Does this make sense? We are packing very light so we don't mind carrying our bags but can we get a decent day of sightseeing in with this plan. We would then spend two additional days in Athens after our trip to Santorini to catch some of the other sites. I am curious as to the amount of time that it will take to get from the airport to Athens. Also does anyone know how early one has to arrive at the airport for domestic flights, I can't seem to find this info on the airline's website. Also since we will be in Santorini in low season, how much time is needed to see the island at a relaxed pace. We will be travelling with two teens and are wondering if the weather will be warm enough for a visit to the beach in mid April.

La Rochelle
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini

Your plan sounds good, I agree it's best to split your trip.

Travel time to Athens is approx. 45 mins, depending on the mode of transport and traffic. At 2 PM I'd get the metro, it's faster and you avoid road traffic.

No idea about check-in times, I'd say an hour, certainly no less than 30 mins.

It's unlikely to be warm enough to swim in mid-April, unless you're coming from the North Pole and are used to the cold. Average temp in April is 60F so not terribly hot.

Belgium
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini

Personally, I suggest you see Athens the last three day. If you split it you will be losing a lot an very valuable wtransfering from and to the airport, checking in and at the hotels and lose an extra two hours that you have to be at the airport before your flight leaves. It is better to use all that time to enjoy everything Athens has to offer.