We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bryan, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Safety in Athens

I am interested in visiting Athens in the summer time, however I am conserned about the safety of the trip and the stay itself. How would you compare Athens to other European or American destinations? Is there a specific thing/ situations I should watch out for?

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Athens

Dear bm_jojo, this is a question that has been asked several times before please check the below link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k4131…

I hope this helps :)

AtHeNaS......

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Athens

bm jojo Athens is much safer even from the most american cities....the crime levels are the lowest in europe..and the city is safe even in the most undergrownd places late night...dont have any concern; )....one of the biggest advantages of this city..trust me

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Athens

I have been around the world a couple of times because of my job & I can tell you this:

Athens is by and far THE safest city in the western world.

Street crime is simply unheard of,and even a woman can walk alone in the street at 3 am with absolutely no fear!

There are no dodgy areas in Athens (there are some suburbs that are run down but even there ,there is absolutely no street crime.)

You should only take the usual precautions agains pickpockets (the only petty street crime in Athens) like you would do in ANY city in the world.

So relax & enjoy your stay!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Athens

hi.

i think you 'll feel safe enough so to enjoy your trip and go wherever and do whatever you like.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Athens

Check mercerhr.com/pressrelease/…1173105 for a recent survey on personal safety and quality of life around the world.

letterkenny, co...
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Athens

hi bm - i have to say, we were there in october 04 and did not even think twice about wandering around the streets. however, athens is a city and i would think the same lookouts of any city will apply. i think around the plaka you need to take care of stoopid tourist robbers. not a big thing so far, but one you need to watch.

like any city:

1. do not hang your video camera on open display

2. don't have your bum bag, money purse on open display

3. don't flash any expensive jewellery. either do not take it on holiday or just don't flash it

4. don't swing our purse or handbag about. if you carry one just clutch it very close to you.

5. if you need to take cash from an atm then make sure noone behind you and then put your hand infront of your input of card details. this is so important now in europe coz many machines are false and your number will be recorded. simply hold your left hand over your right hand which is pushing in the numbers.

sorry to go on so long. just adding lots of risks. but in my experience, athens is no more bother than my native dublin (but as above, i do take precautions!).

oh, btw, the streets in lots of areas of athens are like so slippy. wear non slip shoes. there, that is my warning! :-)

catherine

www.welovedonegal.com

Athens
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Athens

Dear bm,

Safety is not an issue in Athens anymore. The worst place though to stay in Athens is the area of Omonia, Marnis & Athinas streets.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Athens

spirgeor never was; )