We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need some advice

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul
2 posts
Save Topic
I need some advice

I live in Istanbul. I plan to go to Athens and stay for two days near future.

1. How can I go to city center from the airport?

2. Can you suggest me good, cheap, clean hotels in the prime location of the city?

3. How must I plan my itinerary?

4. What must I avoid?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need some advice

Merhaba. Here are some answers to your questions:

1. The easiest way is to get on the metro. Ticket costs 6 Euros one-way and 10 Euros round trip. Even cheaper (2.90 Euros), but slower, are the express bus lines that connect the airport to various parts of the city. X95 line is conencting the airport to the center (Syntagma square). Check www.aia.gr for info and maps.

2. I usually stay at President Hotel (www.president.gr) for under 50 Euros per night. It is a very good value for money for this hotel. There are many more hotels centrally located, but I have not stayed there and cannot comment. TA reviews may help you on this.

3. Here is my top-5 for a visitor in Athens (if you stay only two days, then you may skip any of those).

- Walk the pedestrian road around Parthenon hill and visit the sites along the way (Akropolis, ancient Agora, etc). Avoid restaurants in Plaka, most of the are pure tourist traps.

- Visit the National Archaeological Museum.

- Monastiraki and Psirri areas offer good shopping possibilities and nice eateries (especially Psirri).

- Walk the streets of Kolonaki area and get on the funicular to Lycabettus hill for a very nice view of Athens.

- Visit the Panathinaikon stadium (where the first Olympic games were held) and the nearby National Gardens.

4. Generally there is nothing to avoid in Athens. It is one of the safest cities in Europe and you will have a great time. If you can, avoid taxis because you may get ripped off - but then again, since you live in Istanbul, you know how taxi drivers can rip you off... :-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need some advice

the best way is to use Athens metro from aiport to monastiraki station....45 minutes travel...the best way to move into city in general....

good cheap hotels...

www.amazonhotel.gr (syntagma subway station)

www.attalos.gr (monastiraki subwaystation,end)

www.economyhotel.gr (omonoia subway station)

www.centralhotel.gr (sytagma sqare station)

...musts....

museums like national archeological,vyzantine museum,benaki museum,cycladic museum....

archeological munuments and the whole area..acropolis of Athens ,ancient agora..keramikos

and plaka and psiri area for eating and nightlife are the musts of Athens..

ask for any more specific questions...i will be glad to help you; )