We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cruises of Greece

NH
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best Cruises of Greece

My wife and I (55 & 59) want to take a 7 day cruise of the Greek Isles - I would prefer mid size to smaller ships at a reasonable price ($1000-1500 per person) starting in Athens and ending in Turkey any suggestions of the best cruise lines and ships ???

Recommended itinerary to look for ???

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

Hi there

I'm no "cruiser" I'm afraid but a couple of points to consider.

Firstly, "where to go" totally depends upon what interests you both and also the time of year when the cruise will be taken.

Secondly, a 7-day cruise of the Greek islands is exactly that - most of the time is spent at sea commuting between A and B, with minimal time ashore in any one place, so you won't get a chance to sample what those islands are like or to get a feel for them as at best, you may get 8 hours ashore.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

Greek cruises by Greek organisers start and end in Piraeus - maybe they make a short stop for a visit to a place like Ephesos, but you can't expect them to end in Turkey. If that end stop and a cruise is your aim you should look up international cruises or look up some forum like this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

Hey and welcome tkbedford7:-) I have to agree your best bet may be to post in the dedicated Cruise Forum here! Although there are a number of cruise operators that do start in one Country and end in the other, for the most part, these are larger cruisers..don't know of any mid/smaller sized cruisers doing such an itinerary but hopefully someone over at the 'Cruise' forum will be able to help;-) Happy New Year and Happy Planning..EnjoY!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

Several Cincinnati friends have enjoyed the seven-day cruises offered by Windstar Cruises, which has a nice Athens to Istanbul or Istanbul to Athens itinerary, which both couples have taken. These are small ships, maybe about 200 passengers, and they use sails sometimes. I do not know the cruise prices, but I think they are pricier than your budget. We ran into several Windstar vessels when we took our Istanbul to Athens 12-night cruise on Oceania two years ago, our first-ever cruise, but Oceania is considered mid-size (about 684 people total) and does not do one-week cruises.

I personally think that an itinerary that includes Rhodes, Delos/Mykonos, Santorini, and Ephesus is very nice, but seven days is a really short amount of time. Of course, if you can add at least three days in Istanbul and three days in Athens at each end, you can cover a lot of ground in those two cities.

Edited: 5:45 pm, January 01, 2011
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

well the most famous greek cruise company is Louis......

http://www.louiscruises.com/en.html

the one that has Piraeus (Athens port) port like hub.......

6. Re: Best Cruises of Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 01, 2011