We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach to go when in Athens

London
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
13 helpful votes
Best beach to go when in Athens

HI all,

I will be in Athens for 7 days from Saturday.

Can you please advise of the temperture in athens, should I pack just light clothes or jackets/sweaters as well?

I also want to go a beach to chill for a day or so. Can you please advise of the best ones that can be easily reached by metro or train. I haev heard of Glyfada but not sure there is a metro that goes there.

thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
1. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

The metro doesn't go to Glyfada, but the tram does.

Personally I prefer Varkiza, which is a bit further out. To get there, take the metro (red line) to the last stop - Aghios Dimitrios - and then bus 171 to Varkiza. The bus leaves you right by the entrance to the beach.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

There are a couple of beaches nearer to Athens, such as Akti tou Iliou,

http://www.wiw.gr/english/alimos_akti_iliou/

with a tram stop, but it gets awfully crowded.

Also agree with Tinsey, Varkiza is a good stop. Yabanaki is a private beach,

greekhotel.com/sterea/…home.htm

although Varkiza also has a public beach which is the extension of it. If you are not going on a weekend, you'll probably be able to chill out.

I like to go next door, to Cubanita, which has latin music sometimes from the afternoon, and doubles with a cafe {the name slips my mind}. Cubanita has a great cafe, very laid back with massage too {whilst sipping coffee.} but there is also an entrance fee to the beach which is smaller and quieter than Yabanaki.

You can also reach the coast with the E22 bus which goes along the coast and may be boarded from Akadimias street {the terminal} or Syndagma.

inyourpocket.com/greece/athens/Athens-Beache…

London
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

Thanks. Where do you board the tram to Akti?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
4. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

Wherever you happen to be at the time. If in central Athens, then Syntagma Square. Not sure about the direction though, I would guess Voula. Have a look at the link Diana gave you for info.

BTW best to use its full name (Akti tou Iliou) without shortening it. Akti means "coast" so not helpful on its own, if you're looking for directions etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

Chances are none will know it as Akti iliou.

People know it as "Kalamaki",(which the name this area of Alimos is also known as), or Plaza Alimou or Zefiros.

Supposedly there are 3 different areas.

They are really not .The whole area is just a few hundred yards.

I doubt that the area will be crowded this time of the year.

It has never been before.

Not that it will be empty,as this is a very popular blue collar area.

Tram line is the line to Voula.

Get off at either KALAMAKI or ZEFIROS stop.

Its the closest beach to Athens.

The further south you go from there the better it gets.

I believe that the Voula stop of the tram at the end of the same line,is right in front of Voula beach which has a fee to get in.

Does anyone know if its open this time of the year ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
6. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

The beach at Varkiza (yabanaki) is open at the end of May, so I imagine the one in Voula is also open.

Some friends went swimming in Kalamaki last month. The private beach wasn't open then, but they managed to access the public beach just fine.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
20 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

so approximately how far or how long does it take to get to these beaches by public transportation? is middle of september too late to be going to the beach?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
8. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

Varkiza is the furthest away - from the city centre it's 10 mins on the metro, plus 45 mins by bus, plus however long it takes for the changeover between metro and bus, anything between 5-15 mins. A little over an hour total, maybe a bit longer on weekends.

Voula and Glyfada are closer but because the tram takes longer than the metro & bus combo, the total journey time is similar, my guess is between 1 hr and 1 hr 30 mins (but perhaps one of the locals can confirm).

Kalamaki is closest, 40 mins or so.

Mid September is usually fine for the beach, and the sea is quite warm too.

Edited: 3:22 am, May 21, 2010
9. Re: Best beach to go when in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 18, 2010