We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Athens

Chicago
12 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Athens

Finally.....we booked our holiday to Athens a place that we last visited in 1989. We are very excited about this..... So we will be in Athens for Christmas.....

Now we need your help. We will appreciate any ideas about how to spend our time. We would like to mix with people and spent Christmas the way locals do.

Any suggestions???

Very excited!!!!

Belgium
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Athens

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the chance of you spending Christmas the way locals do is very small. Most Greeks spend Christmas with their family in their home village, if not, with family in the town they live in. Just like Easter, it is a family holiday. Therefore, you'll find Athens much more empty with Christmas and Easter than the rest of the year.

Athens does have a nice atmosphere with Christmas though. The center streets will have Christmas lights and there will be a big Christmas tree on Syntagma Square. Bars and clubs also will have special Christmas decoration, like restaurants, who will have special Christmas menus.

Athens is very special with Christmas and you'll love it.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Athens

True many families celebrate Christmas together. There are some good hotels that organize Christmas parties and dinners, not cheap of course, but in any case a nice way to join the table and to meet Greeks or other tourist. Also smaller bars and restaurants organize parties, buy in Athens the newspaper "Athens News" and there will be plenty of announcements and advertisements in there. If you dont know where the place is, just ask your Hotel reception or show the place at you Taxi driver. For sure the atmosphere in Athens with Christmas is great I always find it the right point, not too commercial but still you feel Christmas is coming.

If you like to see how people celebrate that are going out, step in a bouzouki restaurant at the Plaka district.

Greece
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Athens

Hello from Athens,

I'm greek and i'm sure that you'll have a great time in our town. We are very friendly people and you'll be very welcomed. Choose Syntagma square, Plaka area, Kolonaki area for nice shopping, christmas decorating, lovely cafes, restaurants and bars. Big hotels organising nice parties, but most clubs do the same and the atmosphere will be much more frienldy and cosy. I would suggest you to choose a nice restaurant for christmas dinner and then go out in a bar in the centre of Athens. Reservations are obligated some days ago.

7s
greece
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Athens

Try the City of Athens Christmas site:

www.christmasinathens.gr/En_Site/index.html

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Athens

Hello DXR222 and congratulations for booking your holiday to Athens!!!!!!!!!

Firstly, please allow me to make one thing clear. The Athenians DO NOT leave Athens at Christmas. It it is more at Easter time when this happens, because during Easter the weather is normally warmer, so many people escape mainly in Greater Athens, because own summer houses there and because they have the opportunity to spent their time along the beach. Some other people during Easter will go to the Greek isles, or villages in the Greek mainland.

Anticipate that Athens will be very busy in the built up to Christmas, so there will be many people to mix with. On Christmas day and the following days 26-27 of December, Athenians, as in all European countries, will be spending time with their families. HOWEVER, in the night, you should anticipate that you will see VERY MANY people going out to restaurants clubs, bars...etc, so a reservation is a MUST wherever you go ;)

Athens during Christmas will be very lively you will absolutely love the time you will spend in the city. The streets, shops and restaurants will be beautifully decorated. There will be a gigantic Christmas tree in the middle of the constitution Square. Streets will be crowded with people. There will be lots of music at Syntagma Square. Athens is an outdoors city, ideal for walking, so stroll along the streets a lot.

The historical Centre, is even more beautiful and imposing with all the beautiful Christmas decoration in the little streets of Plaka. Window shop at the art galleries, in the historical centre and sneak in for a warm drink or a glass of wine to one of the many cafes along there, which will be beautifully decorated. In winter in Greece you will need pullover, coat and light gloves. The weather will be unpredictable in December, but if you are very lucky, you might get 60F in the early afternoon going down to 35F or so at night. Athens has a plethora of museums and churches (not to mention shops). Do not miss to go to the Olympic Park, the place which last year, hosted humanity's greatest celebration. Stroll around the Olympic Park and admire the amazing architecture. Contact me if you need more info.

visit:

www.athensinfoguide.com

www.athens-today.com

www.athensguide.com

to get more info about the city and do your homework carefuly in order maximise enjoynment :)

AtHeNaS.......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Athens

Athenas - love the way you stated Athens as the City that hosted 'humanities greatest celebration'....I was in Athens during the Games last year and purchased a vest (which I practically live in now!) and on the back across the bottom it says 'unique games on a human scale'. I often get asked as to what it refers to and admit how proud I am when I can say it refers to the Olympic Games finally celebrated'Home'....Indeed, a City of Celebration and sure you will have a fantastic Christmas DXR222 in a City of Celebration - enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Athens

the main christmas season celebrations and events are taking part at syntagmasquare where the carouzel is located and the big christmas tree,zappion square where the christmas games and places where kids can have happy moments and the celebration bazzar at kotzia square in front of mayors hall....athens is amazing at christmas..there are many events and thousands people in the streets for the season presents and things...it is an unknown part of athens....cause you are not expect from a south european capital celebrate the crhistams like london or berlin...but believe me ..athens in christmas is simply amazing..have a nice time

Chicago
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Athens

Thank you all for the info. We will be in Athens only few from now!!!!