We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Mykono march 2005

Houston,Texas U.S.A
14 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Mykono march 2005

Hi, am spending 4 days in Athens i would love to visit Mykono

so far I haven't been able to find any tours from Athens to Mykono...Anyone out there that can help me out....

I also would like to know if is a good idea to go on my own & how to get there..

South Oz
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

Tempo Holidays ( brochure ) have many short island hopping or simply one place if you wish ie Mykonos. ( suggest look up on web)

For a couple of days - suggest you fly rather than go on the ferry as they are not all that comfortable and take heaps of time - ie 5 or so hours from Athens whereas 50 mins on the plane. - of course a bit more expensive - but worth it in valuable time saving.

Airport not that far from Mykonos town - and probably equidistant to Mykonos Beach area. Taxi is about $28 Euro I understand ..

sorry can't offer much re the other enquiries - enjoy!

G

We are off there in August 2004

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

I a week last summer in Mykonos and am returning with some friends this year. You're going to have a blast!!

I understand your anxiety as mostly all the websites pertaining to ferry schedules are outdated or non-functional. Don't stress.

Best way to arrive from Athens-- Take a train to PIRAEUS station. Exiting the station, you will notice the port and a number of booths with ticket vendors that will assist you. We were fortunate to meet a terrific employee at a trave agency directly across the street from the train station. The name of the agency escapes me. I recommend spending a little extra cash and booking the high speed ferry to Mykonos. A tick over 3 hours as opposed to 5 and a half, and the seating is much more spacious. I believe that there is a daily high speed to Mykonos from Piraeus departing at 4:45 PM (excluding Tuesdays) arriving at around 8 PM.

Don't know if you are traveling during high season, but hotel accomodations can be very pricy. I was very pleased with where we stayed. K Hotel (Kohili, Kalypso) is located on the hill above Mykonos town. About a 5 minute walk into town. Easy access but away from all the noise. Rooms are not super big, but they are nice and many have a large balcony overlooking the sea. Prices are reasonable.

Highly reccomend renting a scooter. A BLAST and no waiting for buses. If you stay at the K, upon exiting driveway, go left down the hill 1/2 block and there is a rental place that offers bikes for approx 10-18 E/day. More expensive in Mykonos town. don't get ripped off. Check out Super Paradise, Paradaise and Agrari beaches. Have fun!!

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

I spent last summer in Mykonos and am returning this year. You are going to have a blast! I understand your anxiety, as the websites posting ferry schedules are outdated and non-functional for the most part.

The best way to arrive in Mykonos from Athens- Take train to PIRAEUS station. There are a number of booths at the port that can assist you in purchasing a ticket. We were fortunate to find a very good employee at a travel agency directly across from the train station. I believe there is a daily high speed ferry departing at 4:45 PM from Piraeus to Mykonos (excluding Tuesdays.) Arrives at approx. 8:15 PM. I recommend spending the extra cash for the high speed. A tick over 3 hours as opposed to 5 and a half, and much more comfortable. Depending on where u book a room reservation, many hotels will pick u up upon arrival. If not, taxis were surprisingly very reasonable on the island.

I don't know if you are going during high season or not. In summer, hotels are very expensive. We stayed at the K (Kohili, Kalypso) hotels. Perfect location up on the hill above Mykonos town for reasonable rate. Rooms not huge, not cramped either. Many have a nice balcony overlooking the sea. Close enough to walk down to town in 5 minutes and away from all the noise. Highly reccomend renting a scooter. (10-18 E/day) A lot of fun and no waiting for buses. Check out Super Paradise beach and Paradise Beach. Enjoy.

Athens, GREECE
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

Hello! I'm Greek, and i live in Athens, so i guess i can help u, even a bit! Well, if u r coming for 4 days in Athens, u won't get round to going to Mykonos, too! U have to stay for a week to Mykonos, in order to enjoy it...!! :) And that will be better, if it is in summer! U'll have a great time, i bet! And, go with company!

As for the way, of getting there, i dont think a tour from Athens to Mykonos is a good idea. U'd better come to Athens first, and book a ticket for Mykonos, from here.

If u go in summer to Mykonos, u have to book a room much earlier. And generally in every greek island.

I hope i helped u!

Have a nice time to Athens!! i can also advise u about the night life of my city! Just tell me when u r coming!

Bye!

Athens, GREECE
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

Hello! I'm Greek, and i live in Athens, so i guess i can help u, even a bit! Well, if u r coming for 4 days in Athens, u won't get round to going to Mykonos, too! U have to stay for a week to Mykonos, in order to enjoy it...!! :) And that will be better, if it is in summer! U'll have a great time, i bet! And, go with company!

As for the way, of getting there, i dont think a tour from Athens to Mykonos is a good idea. U'd better come to Athens first, and book a ticket for Mykonos, from here.

If u go in summer to Mykonos, u have to book a room much earlier. And generally in every greek island.

I hope i helped u!

Have a nice time to Athens!! i can also advise u about the night life of my city! Just tell me when u r coming!

Bye!

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

Mykonos is brilliant but be aware that it is by far the priciest of the Greek islands - and definately an island for the beautiful people!!!So if that's your scene cool, otherwise avoid.Also Mykonos is best in the summer , as it will be far too cold to swim in March.

I am not really sure whether a tour would be a good idea- also keep in mind that Mykonos is not actually that near Athens - it's a minimum of 3 hours on a ferry - or a 30-40 min flight.

In terms of getting there there a number of ferries from Pereus - some faster , some slower, although I think the really fast ones leave from Rafina port . Be aware that if you get sea sick, getting a fast catamaran/ dolphin ( which is the quickest ship to Mykonos) is a -really- bad idea- as the sea can be really rough.

Flying is the best option but make sure you fly Aegean Airlines and not Olympic . They are about 100 times better !

The Terra Maria hotel has never dissapointed me (and we have stayed there more than 4 times).It's mid-range (for Mykonos anyway) and is bang in the center of town (which is what you need really if you are going to Mykonos mid March).

Hope this has been of help... good luck

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

Sorry just read your post again - I thought you were going in March for some reason!!! If you do go in the summer - remember that the beaches are brilliant - but not quite sure how you will be able to fit Mykonos if your schedule is that tight.

let me know if you have more questions.

8. Re: Athens to Mykono march 2005

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:10 am, March 02, 2005