We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
666 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

As our holiday approaches we are wondering about our phones. We will have international roamimg and want to buy a SIM card on arrival in Athens on Good Friday. We arrive at airport at 7.00am and are then getting Metro into city to our hotel.

Where is the best place to buy SIM cards? Who is the best provider? We need to be able to use this SIM card in Athens, mainland and the islands as far as Rhodes.

We are in Greece for nearly a month. This is our first trip to Greece.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

I think you need to check your phone situation carefully... "International Roaming" usually means your phone will work in other countries but you may be charged massively high rates by your provider. It also does not mean you can use a different SIM... a phone must be unlocked to be able to do this.

So check to see if yours is unlocked and if it is tri or quad band to work with a Greek provider.

If you're unsure, just pick up a pay as you go phone when you arrive. I believe there is a GERMANOS store at the airport who can sell you a phone. Other phone stores abound in Athens.

Rob

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Hey great58:-) Agree w/Bob..check w/your provider first and if your phone is, in fact, open! The Germanos store at the airport is ideal and convenient, giving you service from the minute you exit the store..I always hit it first (after the ATM) and load up on minutes for the month! They can as well set you up w/a pay as you go phone..super convenient one to have since you won't be charged for in-coming..even from the States! EnjoY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Please read this first,

livingingreece.gr/2009/…

You can no longer just buy a sim card or pay as you go phone without registering it in your name. Anyone with an existing unregistered sim has until 30th July to register it.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
442 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

It's no big deal, they'll just photocopy your passport, write your name and you're good to go.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Hey Arkanoid:-) That's what I thought! I usually just 'load up' on arrival..but this last time in Sept at the airport before flying out back to the States, found a Germanos at departures so figured I'd head in and plug in a few (I was really low at this point!)..to have just in case! I'm trying to remember if on this one occassion, they did ask me for my passport?! I think they did but really can't remember..since I'd think the CC has my name/ID so I can be 'tracked'! Anyway, don't think it'll be an issue in this new age/new world we live in w/everyone travelling around and using mobiles, etc.... Enjoyin'!

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
666 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Thanks everyone - our phone is not locked. Will go to Germanos at airport on arrival and make enquiries. Will take copies of passport - always take copies when we travel anyway. Will follow advice given.

Roll on April 1st - Greece here we come for the first and not the last time:)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Take your original identification (passport) with you, not copies.

The shop staff will make their own copies (so don't be alarmed if the passport is out of your sight for a minute or two), and you will also sign a form with your personal information (ie, your name & passport number, plus the SIM's number) printed on it.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

. . .and if by any reason your cell phone device doesen't work in Greece, you can always buy there a dea*d cheap device in the 25 - 30 euros range, which costs even less if you consider that usually a 10 euros talking time is included in the package.

Usually they have a all kinds of cell-phones, so you can just tell them "i want the cheapest one to do - recieve some calls" so they will give you the "entry-level" one - if needed.

Examples here e-germanos.gr/e-germanos/products/devices.eg…

As you exit to the main corridor of Arrivals Hall, Germanos shop is at the far - right end of the Hall corridor. Just take your luggage, exit at the common corridor and walk to the right. It's a 2 minutes walk i guess to reach the other end.

If you are arriving through a flight through Europe, you exit in the same corridor. Germanos is still at your right hand but veru much closer, i guess no more than 30 seconds of walking.

I think the airport shop is this one:

…blogspot.com/_gY5ZTDH07-o/…GERMANOS.jpg

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
616 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

Thanks for this idea. I will add this to the things to do at the airport--buy a "Athens News" in English, find Amphitron Holiday desk to buy ferry tickets to Santorini, maybe find tourism office, and buy bus tickets to get to Dafni. I am getting organized.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greece holiday in April - buying SIM card

:))

look: all are located in the same level.

It's a pretty understandable arrival hall, practically just a wide long "corridor" that goes out to the pavement where the buses are located.

- you can even prebook your ferry tickets and receive the paper-ticket from Amphitryon. Remember, if you want to receive a pre-booked ticket from them, you have to book trough them also. http://www.amphitrionholidays.com/online/

- two tourism desks are located on that level. If this is a direct flight from USA Athens-tourim organization desk is right out of the gate. Ask them about maps etc. They even give transportation tips or find stuff on Google Earth etc. ( still some need practice on that :) ) The other desk is at the far right end of the Hall and is the transportation questions desk. Gives maps, tips etc too :)

Bus tickets are at the far right end outside the arrivals hall. If you are heading to Dafni ( i am guessing it's an apartment ) do ask your owner to either get you from the bus stop there, or ask for specific map details. Don't hesitate to ask for a Google map here on through pm.

All in all a pretty understandable hall and not confusing as most airports in the world :)