We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Airport to plaka?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Airport to plaka?

How much should we expect to pay if we hire a taxi from the Airport to Plaka?

La Rochelle
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

What time of day are we talking about? With or without luggage?

santorini
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

Dear focusedtravelling,

Why spending a fortune on a taxi when you can either use the express bus to the center of Athens- Syntagma sq. for around 3euros per person and then take the metro to Plaka or take directly a small train from the airport that we have added from last year and then continue by metro.

The new airport is outside the city and you need to pay tolls that will be added to your bill as also a fare for picking you up from the airport and a silly fare for the luggages. So they will at least charge you 30euros and it will raise depending on the traffic that you will meet.

Most of the taxi drivers- not everybody- take advantage everybody not only tourists but locals also and they are proud of it. I have been told many storie from the drivers and I feel sick. You do not know the route, you do not know if they will make circles to charge you more.

The way that I am suggesting is the easier and safer one. Trust me

Enjoy your vacations in Greece

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

If it is before 00.00 best to use the subway. We have a great subway system in athens. If your lugage have wheels you should not have much trouble. If you decide you take a taxi, before midnight should cost you no more than 25 euros for the taxi, not per person. After midnight there is an extra small cost, max 30 euros. Bus is the cheepest mode of transport to use. Buses that go from the airport in the city have frequent schedules are fast and reliabe.

The choice is yours focusedtravelling ;)

AtHeNaS..............:)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

subway would be better..keep in mind that plaka is not a place where a car can enter easy..is a the oldest part of athens with small roads and beautifull traditional buildings place for walkers so you will have to walk...i will advice you to take the train from aiport to monastiraki...but if you give us the exactly spot of your stay we could advice you better in which station you should stop...on the other hand althought the taxis of athens are the cheapest in europe..30 euros from aiport to centre is nothing comaring the distance you will make sometimes you can pay more..unfortunatelly taxi driver can charge you more ...sometimes happen sometimes not....but keep in mind about 30-40 euros

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

Thank you all kind and helpful people for the advice. We look forward to our trip to your country.

6. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:03 pm, May 02, 2006
Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Airport to plaka?

Enjoy your stay in Athens focusedtravelling, wha has become Europe's most exciting destination. Please contact us if you need more info.

AtHeNaS...