We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens or Sofia

Austin, TX
8 posts
Save Topic
Athens or Sofia

I will be in Macedonia for a few weeks, and have time for a short trip to either Sofia or Athens. I would love to go to both, but due to time restraints I can only visit one. Which should I see and why?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens or Sofia

Well, since you you will already be in Greece ( is it Thessalonika the city you 'll be located? ) thing are just easier to grab a train or a flight and head South to Athens.

Not really familiar with Sofia. I am pretty sure Bulgaria forum will be able to assist you and quide towards the beauties of our neighbours' capital. Regarding Athens: you have a plenty of choices, world class museums, ancient sites, Acropolis, food, nightlife :) Just pick wisely a good location in a central spot and go for it :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens or Sofia

Well since you will already be in Greece (Macedonia is a part of Greece as everybody knows) give Thessaloniki a try (Thessaloniki is the capital of Macedonia & the oldest city in the region w/ many amzing sites) .

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens or Sofia

Athens is more interesting than Sofia and the weather is better.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens or Sofia

Hi there

It's the same as saying, " I'll be in France so should I visit Paris or London? As has been said, you will be in Greece so why go to the additional time, effort and expense of getting to Sofia? Of course, our Bulgarian friends will say "Sofia" but then they will expect us to say "Athens"...:0)

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens or Sofia

Will you be in Greek Macedonia or FYROM , Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Best not to get them confused if you're in Greece. Anyway Athens has to be above Sofia in the list of interesting places to visit.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens or Sofia

I think Athens has more to offer on sightseeing and things to do than Sofia...

Havent been to Sofia but just opening a guide book it is obvious what each place can offer.....

Having to give a preferation while Athens is my city cant be very objective but it is: )

Why??

1/ World's important landmarks

Acropolis monuments

2/Famous museums

Acropolis Museum

Benaki museum

3/Endless list of galleries, restaurants, bars, restaurants.

Sofia it is a destination combines Christian Orthodo heritage and Ottoman period monuments.

Athens combines ancient history, Christian one, Ottoman one and very modern one part of its 2004 Olympic Games heritage and reborn.

Macedonia is a region of Greece, Thessaloniki is its magor city and definetely one of the most beautifull cities of Greece.

There is also the Former Republic of Macedonia with Skopje capital on the North part of Macedonia region.

7. Re: Athens or Sofia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2010