We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical Places, Nightlife and Beaches

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
241 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Historical Places, Nightlife and Beaches

I am planning to fly into Athens at the begginning of September of 2010. There is so much information about Greece and its islands that is hard to decide where to go and stay. Should I stay these 10 days in Athens or should I split these days between the islands? I enyoy sightseeing, going to historical places, also enjoy some of the nightlife and the beaches. Can all of this be accomplish in Athens? and then comeback for the other islands in the future? Any ideas on a nice budget hotel around 160.00 dollar a night or less?

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical Places, Nightlife and Beaches

Oh, well, you 've already encountered the typical shock any first-comer to Greece is facing :)) It seems to many people nearly impossible that such a small geographic dot is offering so many things.

It is indeed a bit overwhelmimg :) Despite its relatively small geographical size, Greece has an huge cultural background, a rich history and one of the most photogenic settings in the world.

So:

To start:

1. Nope, Athens is not a good base. In fact Greece ( roughly speaking ) is not "good" for "i use a base" trips. It's better to do sequential trips, like drive - loops whan on the mainland and island - hopping when on the islands. This is a roughly - speaking description of course. Still, what seems as a tiny distance in the map is not easily covered in reality. Mainland has a perplex natural plateau while islands are not so near as they may seem.

2. A trip to Greece ( duration depending ) needs a good balance of a "bit of everything". Usually i think a "3 days at least" per place is a good start. That means that a 10 days trip will be 2 places + Athens. Like 2 islands + Athens. This is a rough equation to start from. Some people rush it more, some do less. Anyway you see it, keep in mind that "less is more", so resit in the initial urge to squeezz everything in. A Greece trip is about getting to local rhythms and actually "do" places better and get to local rhytms rather than running around.

3. Leave Athens for the end. Choose a ferry hop at the beginning or even better a short plane hop ( many islands are connected by air to Athens ). This way you de - lag on a beach instead of Athens and exploit the fact that you 'll be already at the airport, so a 45' extra flight actually saves time, costs, and unneccessary packing / unpacking. I always think Athens is a very good introduction to a Greece trip so i prefer starting from there, but practical reasons and time constraints are actually saying it is better and less time consuming to leave Athens for the end.

4. Which islands to pick/ Difficult one, lol :)

You may also want to read more on how to start a Greece trip on top right part og Greeece forum page, where a "where to start from" guide is located.

By any point of view though, keep in mind this: a research on a Greece trip pays back in many ways. It seems to me you know what you want, you already want trips that fit perfectly to a Greece trip, so go for it :)) It's a spectacular country.

( Start from a rough itinerary reading about the islands. Make a draft plan on "where will i go / how much i 'll stay" and then proceed to other details like "which hotels" and so ).

Happy planning and welcome in Greece forums :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical Places, Nightlife and Beaches

Hi there

I think that with ten days, you can easily spend say 4 days in Athens which would allow you to see most , if not all of the major sights, and maybe 4-5 days on an island. All Greek islands with an airport are within a maximum 50 minute flight from Athens so it would make sense to try to connect straight away at Athens and go directly to your island, saves time and gets you into island relax mode right away.

Check out www.aegeanairlines.com for domestic flights

Regarding the island and which one to choose, it depends upon what you like to do and see. For history, beaches and nighlife, you'd have a hard job to beat Rhodes but I'm sure you will get other recommendations here.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you spending all the time in Athens - allow 3-4 days for the major sights, then you can consider various day trips to other sites, or down to cape Sounion or wherever. It's also easy to head for one of the Saronic Gulf islands from Piraeus - Spetses, Aegina, Hydra, and so on.

You can hop on a tram on Syntagma Square and make the 40 min run down to the beach suburbs at Glyfada and Voula and Athens itself, has all the nightlife you could ever ask for, especially around the Psirri area.

Regardless of whether you stay in Athens for 3-4 nights, or 9-10 nights, find a hotel in a good central location - Syntagma, Thission, Plaka or Monastiraki - from where all the main sights are easily walkable as they are in such a compact area. You would need to jump in a cab to reach the National Archaeological Museum but that's the only top sight that not really within strolling distance. Athens is a safe city in a safe country, it's fine to be strolling around at 3am, street crime is virtually unheard of.

A couple of hotels to start with

www.airotel.gr (click on "Parthenon on the home page)

www.athenscypria.com

I've stayed in both, they are comfortable, central, on quiet side steets and both include breakfast in their rates. Check for their rates on sites like Trip Advisor, Expedia, Kayak, and so on, then it often pays to call the hotel direct and ask if they can better the advertised prices. Sometimes they will, sometimes not, but it's worth a call and you may just save 10-15 euros per night.

3. Re: Historical Places, Nightlife and Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 16, 2010