We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

Cranford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

Im leaving this thursday and Im trying to compile a must-do list before I leave for Mykonos. I will have 2 full days to tour the city. Obvioulsy the parthenon is one of my must-sees, and one night we have reservations at the restaurant on top of Lycabbettus hill for around sunset. That was one thing I was told was a must. Any other tips would be helpful thanks!

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours
La Rochelle
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

I personally think the Tripadvisor list is very good:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g189400-Activiti…

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

We were in Athens in March and i loved it my first bit of advice is watch the taxi drivers they fleeced us ,but besides that our hotel was not that far from the Acropolis we walked down from there and went to parliment square watched the soldiers changing guard then walked down to the plaka district we bought a all day ticket for the metro so we just hopped off and on when we felt like it.

The next day we went to the harbour and went on the hydrofoil to Aegina that was lovely it is only about 40 mins on the hydrofoil from Athens i hope you have a wonderful time there we did and i will never forget it Athens is a magical city.

La Rochelle
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

Good point re: taxi drivers. Take public transport as much as you can when you're in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

well done shabanu2 ...dinner on the top of lycabetous on sunset..simply great just ask for a table viewing the acropolis..as for other attractions...plaka area..start to walk among the old traditional houses of the old part of the city...nice place to explore and discover a place under of the acropolis hill....museums...national archeological museum vyzantine museum benaki museum and cycladic are the most popular and intresting museums where you can have also really nice souvenirs...quality souvenirs not touristic and gipsy as allways you can find in low prices...other nice places to eat are www.filoistron.gr www.varoulko.gr www.mamacas.gr dont forget also to walk the streets dionisiou aeropegitou and apostolou pavlou which circle the arheological areas...the houses on dionisiou aeropagitou are simply architect treasures and the atmospere of this place in the archeological park looking the monuments are an amazing experience...unfortunatelly the days you visiting athens there is a book exibition on these streets but there is a good chance to buy a nice book....dont miss a drink to galaxy bar at the top floor of athens hilton..elegant atmospere and nice views.....at last if you want to make shoping keep in mind that in athens you can find anything(new york is also shopping paradise but in athens the difference can make the chance) ermou street are the most popular and busy street on shopping..but the elegant and expensive clothes are in kolonalki area

hong kong
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

can anyone describe something about Aegina because i'll stay in Athens for 2 nights. Since i'm not so interested to visit the museum where should i go apart rom visiting the Acropolis, Plaka...

Thanks

john

hong kong
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

Hi gas. I've booked the Amazon Hotel which you recommend to me. I'll be in Athens in mid October. I've the interest to have dinner my wife in Lycabbettus hill. How can I make reservation and would it be possible to get tables in the restaurants there without making reservation ? Also please suggest me if i've enough time to the Aegina. Thanks.

john

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

john you will find a table..dont have concerns about that...the restaurant is big with many tables...it would be nice to go there at night and then use the teleferic to go down ...as for aegina..i dont believe you have time...if you are not intresting in museums you can do many other things as i have describe above....athens is a walking city...so keep in mind that you will walk a lot..especially at plaka area psiri area ..amazon hotel is a nice budjet hotel of athens with clean rooms and friendly staff in a central location...dont expect 4 -5 star accomondation...first day will be nice to see at least the main monuments like the whole archeological area of acropolis and the great views from there and the second day a meal at orizontes lycabetous restaurant would be really nice idea..but kepp in mind that you will need about 50euros per person for a meal..is an expensive restaurant...at last in athens you will need time to see a lot...from vyzantine churches to ancient greek monuments to luxurious and intresting ermou street shops and shoping centres ....walk plaka psiri and kolonaki area..have a greek fast food meal (souvlaki and greek salad) at monastiraki area(bairaktaris and thanassis kembap places) ...and at last keep in mind that....be ready to walk.....walk is the best way to expore athens!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

Hi john chan

We only had 2 full days when we went to Athens it was the 2nd day we went to Aegina.We go to Greece every year trying different islands so when we stepped off the hydrofoil at Aegina harbour we started to explore we went in March so it was out of season but the islands there is always something that draws you to them and i think every island is different in atmosphere but one thing that is the same which ever greek island you go is the friendliest and helpful people the greek people are we only roamed round the harbour area of Aegina but it was very picturesque i was so glad we went.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

one day to explore and see aegina is not good..furthermore one day to see athens is nothing...if you visit other islands there is no reason to do that.....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Athens...what are some Must Do's??

especially if you visiting the athens city and greece for first time..you will need time to see things.....one day to each destination ?????not a good idea