We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Athens map you don’t want anymore?

I need a good map of Athens for my upcoming trip – the one in my guidebook is so tiny! Does anyone have a map of Athens (even a free one that they picked up at the airport or from a hotel) that they’d be willing to send me? I like to mark on a map the location of restaurants and other things I want to see prior to departing.

Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Speaking about an on-line map you can print, here you are:

greeka.com/attica/…athens.jpg

Can be printed in big size, so you can pencil anytime you want and make mistakes too :)

If you want to locate specific adresses, Google Earth is a valuable aid. "Fly me to" box accepts adresses in English. May be a little tricky, still it is a really valuable aid :)

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Thank you for the link and advice on google maps! I did some PhotoShop work to the map, trying to bump up the resolution, and cropping it to just the central Athens area. When I print, it's very grainy and hard to read, and I can't make out a lot of the street names. The blue shading they have on some of the streets blocks the street name. Hmmm...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

You really don't have to make alot of work on it.

Using photoshop you probably saved it as a .bmp or .jpg of lower color range or lower analysis.

Save it to your desktop and crop it through a simpler photo editing programme like Acd-see that won't affect result. This map can really be printed in large size paper without any distortion you referred.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

. . .without touching the resolution.

Use "save as" initial pic, then crop, then save again as a .bmp on 24bit or a .jpg of large detail.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Thanks for trying to help. That's what I did - I downloaded the map, cropped to the area I wanted, then adjusted the resolution to make the size large enough to fill one page. It's just difficult to read in black/white.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Hi there

Assuming you won't need a map of all the outer suburbs of Athens, why not just go to the travel section of your local bookstore and buy the Rough Guides street map to Athens? It's in full colour, very accurate and clear to read, has all the major sights marked on it, as well as bus routes, metro lines, churches, main hotels and loads more. It costs about $9 and folds up to pocket size.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

Thanks for the map recommendation. I checked at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and they had nothing. I'll check back - they may have had a rush on Athens maps and been out of stock :) That, and I was trying to save $9. Ha! I need to save my money for gyros!!!

8. Re: Athens map you don’t want anymore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:36 am, November 19, 2009