We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegetarians in Greece

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SAINT LOUIS
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
vegetarians in Greece

We are going to be in Greece for 16 days. Traveling on the mainland for a week and then to Santorini, Crete and Rhodes. I was wondering how hard it is to find vegetarian food in the smaller towns and islands. Also my husband is deathly allergic to chickpeas and what the best way to convey that is to the waiter. We are very excited about this trip, I hope this won't interfere with our good time.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vegetarians in Greece

There are plenty of vegetarian dishes in Greece. The Greek kitchen is famous for this specially the Cretan. Healthy food and try it as fresh as possible from the cozy Greek Taverns.

Gigantes, big white beans

Dolmadakia, Suffed wine leaves

Jemista, stuffed tomatoes and Peppers

Salads

Chorta, Greek spinach

Selikaria, snails

Koukouvagia or Dakos, Mix of toast bread, tomatoes, olives and herbs

Kolokithia, Courgettes with rice

Melizanes tiganites, Eggplant fried

and many more specialties, you will not have enough days to try everything

2. Re: vegetarians in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:59 pm, September 21, 2005
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vegetarians in Greece

Hi

Just returned from Santorini this week, did Crete last year (and Rhodes before) and as a non-meat eater I did quite well.

Apart from salads, pasta and pizza (but see note below about cheese) you will find the main courses a bit restricted. I can recommend briam and stuffed tomatoes (you might need to check the latter don't have meat although this was not a problem in Santorini). The starters however are bliss and you could easily have few of these: dips, dolmades, fried cheese and vegetables.

If you are a strict vegetarian you may want to check if the cheese is OK as I am not sure about the rennet used.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vegetarians in Greece

Tell the waiter:

OHI REVITHIA and pointing your husband, say: ALLERGHIKOS

(no chickpeas) (allergic)

5. Re: vegetarians in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:01 am, March 14, 2006