We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving on Friday A few more questions

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving on Friday A few more questions

First I would like to thank everyone who is involved with this forum for their advice and suggestions. I will be staying at the AVA hotel in Athens and wanted to know if these restaurants(orizontes,mamacas,fillistron, spondi, pil poul, and varoulko) are in walking distance from the hotel. Also, which of these 4 restaurants (orizontes, spondi, pil poul, varoulko)have the best food and view. I would like to make reservations for 2 of them before I leave.

Should I get a map of Athens before I leave or just wait till I arrive in Athens?

Since I will be taking a sailing class around the Saronic islands which islands to you recommend as a must-see.

Thanks

Denise

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving on Friday A few more questions

den4001 you have made great choices..ava hotel is really nice place to stay and unforgetable area in the heart of plaka and under acropolis....best restaurants for a view are pilpoul filistron varoulko and orizontes...in walking distance from your hotel is filistron and pil poul located at apostolou pavlou street...take a map from your hotel or from the many information desks for visitors at syntagma square monastiraki square and thission ...the best view of all can be found at orizontes but if you dont at last want to spend over 40 euros per erson filistron will be great choice too..i will give you just for help some sites of these restaurants just to see where exactly are and the menu www.filoistron.gr www.mamacas.gr www.spondi.gr www.varoulko.gr ....as for sailing let you know that im also a sailor and i have made routes from athens to the cycladic islands many times...musts of sailing near athens are 3 islands....hydra,tzia,kythnos.....but if you have more days dont even think not to go at sifnos or milos...amazing places to find beaches for sailors and sea food unforgetable...you should ask for lobster spagheti the speciality of cycladic islands; )

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving on Friday A few more questions

as for best food it has to do with what you want...at pil poul orizontes,spondi,varoulko you can find expensive gourmet cuisine..especially at spondi and varoulko the perfection of the food is high and these restaurants have michelin star(i dont know if this exist to usa but in europe a restaurants having michelin is what we called one of the top of the top in europe),but at last if you want traditional greek tastes mamacas and filoistron would be also nice choice and cheaper

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving on Friday A few more questions

Thanks Gas. I will go to the restaurant websites. I will definitely write a trip report when I come back.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving on Friday A few more questions

Another suggestion is the Tudor Hall at the King George II(www.grecotel.gr).Nothing can go wrong there:stately surrounding, excellent service, majestic views over the Acropolis and an Alain Ducasse inspired menu.Also it's a bit less pricey than the Spondi.Gas, the 1 michelin starred isnt the highest rank a restaurant could have in europe.There are many restaurants in Europe(specially in France) that may have 2 and 3 stars.These are the best.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving on Friday A few more questions

greece4ever i know that i didnt meaned the number of stars i mean the name michelin; )