We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Athens Airport

Vallejo, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Athens Airport

Does anyone know how far it is from the Athens airport to the ferry docks at Piraeus? We're arriving in Athens at about 5:00 pm and we're wondering if we can make a ferry that leaves at 10:00 pm. Are there buses that go between the two in the evening or will we have to take a taxi (which I imagine could be quite expensive). Any info would be appreciated.

George's Taxi
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
PK Travel
Bus Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
H.P. Tours - Hellenic Private Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

I think you can take the Metro to Monastiraki and change to Piraeus with plenty of time to spare. Easy, fast and cheap.

2. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:59 pm, September 21, 2005
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

Jan is right the bus is the best way

See :

aia.gr/EN/…E96T.pdf

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

you take the train from the aiport to monastiraki and from there you go up to the green line to pireas...you stop to pireas station and the port is exactly outside..the whole trip is about one hour

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

I prefer the Xbus. You have the time and it's very convenient without having to take the train and transferring. PLUS, you get to see your surroundings on the way.

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

Hello Annie, you said:

'I prefer the Xbus. You have the time and it's very convenient without having to take the train and transferring. PLUS, you get to see your surroundings on the way'.

The transfer from the Metro to the Overground train at Monastiraki is very easy.

All metro stations have escalators so you will not have to lift your baggage up the stairs.

Plus the Athens Metro is the fastest, and most convenient mode of transport in Athens.

Also you need to take into account that if you take the bus is not unlikely that you will stuck in traffic, this said, bus lanes operate at certain roads.

Personally I prefer the Metro route, but the decision is yours.

The GREAT thing about getting around Athens is that

(a) you do not have to rely on Taxis.

(b) You have different options of public transportation to use ;)

Have fun in Athens Annie.

AtHeNaS.................

Vallejo, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

Thank you all for the great info!!!! I love this website!!! I feel much better now about getting to the ferry on time. Thanks again everybody!

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Athens Airport

kbeach

Have a great time in Athens.

AtHeNaS......