We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Athens

getting to the acropolis

lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
52 helpful votes
getting to the acropolis
Save

hi we are getting dropped off by a tour bus in the plaka shopping disrict, i know its a trek up to the acropolis, but can any one tell me how far is it from the plaka area, is there a bus up to the site and how much do you think is a taxi up to there , would this be the best option with children ? any ideas or suggestions welcome the kids are 9 and 12 and dont mind walking a fair bit thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
42 reviews
348 helpful votes
1. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

Is not that hard goig up to the Acropolis...

you following Adrianou street to Dionisiou Aeropagitou and you enter from the entrance of ancient Dionisos theatre...

have a mpa..to see how you can walk from Adrianou at Dionisiou Aeropagitou promanade ,where the New Acropolis museum is..the entrance to the Acropolis is there...and i think this is better way than the entrance from Thission...

having a bottle of water each,comfortable shoes and hats ,plus skin sun protection i dont think you will have any problem than enjoyment of the site and the views...

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
792 reviews
277 helpful votes
2. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

i honestly believe that people view pictures of the Acropolis and think they are going to be scaling vertical cliffs. Nothing could be easier to get to than the Acropolis.

The grade before you even approach the access points gets you 90% of the height. We had a girl on our tour that was terrified of heights and wanted nothing to do with going up. She parked her butt on a bench and her friend went on up. She went back and got her friend from the bench and told her she was already at the top!!!! She then re-joined our group.

Dean in Canada

Athens
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

Adrianou Street until Dionysiou Aeropagitou is the best route. But I wouldn't recommend taking the Dionysus Theatre entrance, it's a bit steep. The next entrance along the same pedestrianized area will take you a a much easier way to entry via the Herodion Theatre on le ft. You can't miss it because you will see the big hanging posters of the Hellenic Festival in front of it. Go up the few easy steps there and when you are in front of the arched stage of this Roman theater turn left. You will see an easy way up that takes you right in front of the entrance. Comfortable shoes are always advisable. Enjoy your visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
129 reviews
202 helpful votes
4. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

Adrianou street up the rear of the Acropolis rather than the front is a really gentle slope. The front way up isn't that steep but it is a bit more so than the back way. Also round the back is a lovely tree lined avenue so its also very pleasant and cool.

You don;t need to take a taxi just wander up if you are going up the Piraeus side its a fun walk past loads of other sights anyway so defiently walk it.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
5. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

From Syntagma Square you can board city bus #230. The cost is E0.50 per person per trip. Buy the ticket from the kiosk before boarding the bus. Be sure to validate it IMMEDIATELY you get on board. This bus terminates at the Tour Bus Parking Lot at the entrance to the Acropolis. There is also a nice little museum gift shop, a good restaurant and many souvenir shops right here.

lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
52 helpful votes
6. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

thankyou all very much for your informative replies, i think we are going to attempt the trip from pireous it seems easy and will be so much cheaper than the cruise tour option, hopefully we can get an early start and head up to the acropolis first, it looks stunning, not going with the ship excursion now trying to be more independant .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: getting to the acropolis
Save

"The cost is E0.50 per person per trip. Buy the ticket from the kiosk before boarding the bus. "

not any longer,there is only one kind of ticket for ALL transportation means in Athens and it costs 0,80 euros (you can use it for 90 minutes from the time you validate it for any kind of travel)

the same ticket you buy at the metro station,at the kiosks and at the scarce bus ticket selling points is valid everywhere.

8. Re: getting to the acropolis

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 06, 2009