We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

Hey guys & gals-

I have read SOOO much on this site and have seen SO many reviews that i have confused myself on which hotel to use for my 1st two nights in Greece, which will be in Athens. I am coming to Greece for my honeymoon and I want to get the nicest room for the money (who doesn't), but also be able to take advantage of all the woderful aspects of the city. I had read reviews of the Phillipos and the Cypria and thought about going with the Cypria because of the location, view of the acropolis, and the reviews people have left. But i am worried that it might be a little to "plain". I would love to have a hotel that is in a quiet area, but also have a CLEAR view of the Acropolis from our room for my new wife to enjoy. I've been to Athens once before, and although i'm excited, my wife is going CRAZY with anticipation, so i can't mess this one up. One thing though, my wife isn't really use to staying in small, narrow, "local" hotels that many people describe here on the site, but rather is used to the commericalized hotels like marriott, etc. I think she will get more out of her trip if she stays in a hotel that has a "greek feel" to it, but i am worried about these hotels in general. At the same time, i don't want to spend 300 euro a night for one of these commercialized hotels, as we will be in Greece 2 full weeks.

Can you (and anybody else) recommend your top 3 choices of hotels for quality, being close to shopping, sites, etc., between $130-$180 Euro's, please??? You all seem to know your stuff, but there are SO many recommendations on this site, i keep confusing myself.

I would greatly appreciate any help you all can give.

JYinKY

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

My two suggestions to you, based on your criteria, would be President Hotel (www.president.gr) and Titania Hotel (www.titania.gr). I have stayed in both, and both are ideally located, close to metro stations and major bus routes. Both have been renovated for the Olympics, and provide great service. They are not located in quiet areas, but if you request rooms at high floors, you will not have any trouble with traffic noise. I usually prefer President Hotel when I travel to Athens, because I find it of very good value. Be sure to ask for a room a high floors. tLast week I stayed at a room at President Hotel which was at the 17th floor, and the night view of the Acropolis was stunning!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

first of all..i have recomend you hera hotel...itis small hotel but it facing acropolis and the rooms and staff are great.also the location is absolutelly quite next to acropolis monument www.herahotel.gr....but lets see the things like you want...you like a big hotel marriot style in these rates...but big hotels are located on big avenues...this is allways happenings..big buildings cannot be in not busy roads..so chooce..a small hotel looking the acropolis?? or a big hotel looking the acropolis on a busy avenue about 5-10minutes from the historical centre?? intercontinetal is great hotel.(big hotel)..with views of acropolis great rooms roof top pool ..trully 5 star..and you can have a room with 180 i suppose....is located at syngrou avenue...i think the best choice for your wife...last choice in these rates with roof pool great design but no view to acropolis next to all the main attractions(you can have a superior room in these rates)..www.freshhotel.gr not big hotel but for sure not small either...so hera hotel viewing the acropolis in a peacefull area but small type...fresh hotel not viewing the acropolis midle type hotel and intercontinetal great luxury hotel viewing acropolis but in a busy high speed avenue.....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

you have one more choice divani caravel next to athens hilton www.divanis.gr and chooce divani caravel...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

jyinky i made something crazy; )) there is a hotel at syntagma squqre really expensive and great for the rooms and the view of the acropolis..is almost next of grande bretagne and king george...is called n.j.v athens plaza..there is a site of the company www.grecotel.gr go to the grecotel city and then to the hotel list and chooce n.j.v athens plaza to see this great hotel..but i couldnt find rates so i call them....i say that som friens from abroad coming to athens and they want a room viewing acropolis monument...the girl told me that she has a room about 220 euros a day.....i say thats bad my friends wat a room at 180 euros......so after a minute she accept these price....her name is kalakou..and she told me to call her ...i will give you a phone to ask for this lady....athens plaza is great hotel...just see the site...but i just want to help you with an other good idea...at last if you like it call this phone and ask for this women for a room viewing acropolis.....i mentioned fake days...14-17 august so try to be carefull..; )))) +302103352400

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

JY, gas suggested the Divani Caravel as one of several options for you to consider. We stayed there last year and again this past June and enjoy the hotel ... it's a "commercial" place much like a Marriott with good, comfortable rooms and amenities (including a very nice rooftop pool and terrace offering great views of the city). It also offers the best and most extensive breakfast buffet we've had anywhere, which we think is the Caravel's best feature. Plus the hotel has a shuttle bus offering guests free rides (during mornings and afternoons only) to the downtown Plaka shopping area as well as to its sister hotel the Divani Acropolis, which is only a 10-minute walk from the Acropolis. The upscale Kolonaki neighbourhood is within walking distance from the Caravel, as is a subway station and Lycabettus hill, from which you can enjoy spectacular views of all of Athens. You can even walk to the Plaka area if it's not too hot and you're feeling energetic. I don't know if the rooms fall within your price range, though, and I'd recommend requesting an Acropolis-view room if that would be crucial to a good visit. Many of the Caravel's rooms have either lousy or unremarkable views, but apparently there are some with lovely views so be sure to request such a room if you do make a reservation.

By the way, did you ever receive the email I sent you on Sunday, with about two dozen pics of the Phenix hotel and its views? Never heard back from you and wondered if the message and photos ever did reach you.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

Hey Donny-

Yes, i got your email! I thought i had responded to it though. My fault! It was perfect. It seems as if the website for the phenix shows another hotel (brown, sharp edges) verses the white building that your pictures shown. Kind of confusing!!! But, i can't keep going back and forth trying to decide which hotel is going to be "perfect", you know?

I am SOOOOO sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Your help has been much appreciated.

I think i might stay at one of the two hotels that i originally talked about, the Phillipos or the Cypria. They are on the cheap end of my budget, but i think the only "commercial" hotel i would stay at would be the International, but at $195 Euro a night, and with 9 other nights in Greece to pay for, that might start to get a little stiff in the wallet.

I apprecaite all the help folks!

JYinKY

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

The Electra Palace Hotel might fit the bill too. This is at the edge of Plaka and just a few minutes walk to Syntagma Square

Its stylish and nicely redone..see the reviews on this site. I think if you make a call to the hotel reservationist in advance to any hotel, most will take note that its your honeymoon, and some will give you an upgrade if they have it. Greeks love newlyweds! Have a great time.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

I REALLY like the looks of the Hotel Hera after checking out the site, and reading the reviews. Seems pretty nice for the money. Seems modern, but at the same time, traditional greek. Any thoughts anyone?

JYinKY

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

what do you mean traditional greek? is a boutique hotel...traditional greek are the white hotels of santorini and myconos or the neoclassical buildings of old ahens and rocky one at the country....the area of hotel hera is the best of the best..next to acropolis monument(entrance 80metres fromn the hotel) next to plaka(entrance to plaka 90metres) next to the now built new museum of acropolis of athens...europe is for a boutique hotel...i allways believe that....grand hotels and places can be found of corse in athens but in noisy areas and big avenues...

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nich, Gas, etc... I need help with a room for my...

Try park hotel athens.it is a nice hotel with a oof top swiming pool views to the acropolis and large wonderful rooms.www.athensparkhotel.gr.it is a hotel that will give you what you want in reasonable prices and a lot of luxury.also try saint george lykabetus hotel next to the city center, nice not very expensive, not commercial at all with roof top swimming pool and views to the acropolis.www.sgycabettus.gr. another beautiful hotel is www.divaniacropolis.gr.the prices of these hotel are in your limits.