We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

viking yacht cruises

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
279 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
viking yacht cruises

anyone have any info. on this cruise co. the cruise they offer to the islands sounds really good.

steve

missouri
Level Contributor
255 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: viking yacht cruises

Hi Steve, I am booked on this trip in June. Would also love some feedback from anyone who has used them. Will be happy to let you know about it on my return.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: viking yacht cruises

You'll find some recent posts here on Viking Yacht Tours if you type in 'Viking yacht cruises in Greece' up in the search box (upper left-hand corner) here:-) Not 'computer savvy' enough to give you the direct links..sorry..but you'll find a number of posts there! Enjoy!

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
279 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: viking yacht cruises

thanks, litsa. i notice that you are also an afficianado of the hotel grande bretagne. we happen to be staying there on our starwood points(my favorite points of all!) they won't let us use points to upgrade to an acropolis view room, but we can always go up to the restaurant for a drink and the view. any suggestions on other things i should be aware of in this hotel or right around it. thanks again. i have been an avid user and contributor on cruise critic but am new to this board. glad to have met you.

steve

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: viking yacht cruises

Oh my! Is it that obvious..lol!!!!! Are you guys in for a treat :-)) Is there a limit on the dissertation I can present here?:-)..and yeah, I'd hardly expect them to 'upgrade' on 'points'..lol!..I use my 'Amex Starwood' exclusively for business so I can hold court here..lol!! we usually spend our time up at the pool..order a lunch..couple of cocktails..served poolside with linen and silverware..we're talking *luxe* here.. you'll see when you're there! Don't get me started..lol!! DO go down to the Spa area and check out some of those steam/sauna rooms just above the pool/jacuzzi:-) Breakfast is now also served up at the roof-garden which turns into a cafe/bar/restaurant for lunch and dinner..You won't get it included on 'starpoints' but can always go up and have a morning cup of java by the bar! DO go up there for a drink as the sun goes down and enjoy the view of the floodlite Akropolis..indredible:-)) I REALLY await your report when you get back..on BOTH the GB and Skopelos:-) You've got me fantasizing myself now..lol! I'll be there myself next month..ENJOY!

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
279 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: viking yacht cruises

i will definitely post a review, especially about the cruise. the hotel has hundreds of reviews and they are all positively gushing. the cruise, however, has had many inquiries, but none of them post a review when they return.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: viking yacht cruises

That is unfortunate and am assuming you've checked the 'Cruise' Forums here?! All I can tell you is if they're anything like they were back then (80's) you're in for a treat:) In those days they only operated 2 cruisers..the 'Viking of Kos' that did predomenantly the Cyclades (Myk, Naxos, Paros, Ios Sant) and the 'Blue Viking' that cruised the Dodecanesse to include Samos (stop at Kusadasi in Turkey for Ephessus), Kalymnos, Leros, Patmos and Rhodes..Both were wonderful and again, fabulous having the time to spend as you wish on the isle for the overnight:-) I also believe they run an Ionian isle cruise but not sure on that one! Any of this..or these itineraries sounds familiar Steve?! Hopefully, YOU'LL be the first one posting back on this one:-) Keep Enjoyin'!

Pickering
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: viking yacht cruises

We also are booked on the Viking Cruise from Athens in early September. I've been looking in this forum for feedback, and there does not seem to be anything recent.

I've decided that is a good thing, because if it was really bad, that stuff would be here!

We decided that we might want a bit of downtime following the seven day cruise, so opted instead of a land tour from Athens to take the ferry from Pireaus the same day we depart the boat, and head to Hydra for 3 days before we catch our flight home. That even adds one more Greek island to our itinerary. We also see this as a test trip to gauge what islands we would like to return to on our own terms.

Would love to hear about your experience, on your return.

All the best.

california
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: viking yacht cruises

Hi Steve,

Wanted to let you know that I took a 7 day trip through the Greek Isles with this tour company. The 7 days was great, though be careful at what time of year you book. End of summer there are strong winds that will influence the itinerary. We missed one island due to this situation.

I thought the crew was great, very friendly and helpful! The Coconi brothers were great in getting everything booked over the internet and very professional.

I felt this way of seeing the islands is a great way to get a taste of what they are about. But if you want more time on each Island, I do recommend that you do it on your own.

The size of the passengers is wonderful, maybe 30-32 in total. Was great to be able to meet people from several places around Europe. All very friendly and intimate settings.

Hope this is helpful!

And good luck in your travels.

Trina

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: viking yacht cruises

Hey Trina...thanks so much for your feedback:-) Good to know the Cocconi brothers are still running their wonderful small cruises! Which one were you on? last I was aware of and had the pleasure of enjoying were the 'Viking of Kos' which cruised the Aegean and the 'Blue Viking' which did the Dodecanesse and altered the Ionion for a while..I think! Although not skipping an isle, we got stuck in Paros for 3 days..we then disembarked the Viking of Kos and they put us on a regular ferry over to Santorini which was the last isle anyway..We ended up spending 3 days there at a property on Kamari that they arranged! Weather wasn't up to par towards end of sailing..was mid-October! Would love to hear more about your adventure....glad you enjoyed!

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
279 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: viking yacht cruises

hi liltrink. i posted my review also and thought i would add it to yours to give a more complete review. i hope you enjoyed your trip too. we were one of only 2 tours that did not miss a stop this summer according to the captain.

MY REVIEW:

while looking into a small ship on which to take a greek island cruise i found viking yacht cruises. after extensive research, i could find only one review and that was from several years ago on this board. i decided to give them a try. i have also found several other people asking about this cruise and promising to post a review upon their return, but none of them did. so here is my review.

THE GOOD:

1. the crew is a very dedicated group of people who try very hard to accomodate the passengers under very tight quarters. they were all very friendly and accessable, including the captain.

2. the food. while not gourmet and not served with great presentation, was delicious greek family fare. for example, stuffed tomatoes and peppers, grilled lamb, stuffed grape leaves, grilled octopus just to name a few. there was also american breakfast daily.

3. the ports of call. these were quite varied and included the big names such as santorini and mykonos and lesser known naxos,for example.

4. fellow passengers. we had the pleasure of sharing our adventure with 11 americans, 5 germans, 2 new zealanders, 2 canadians, 2 south africans, and 8 australians. the comraderie among the group was genuine and started building while we were waiting to leave port on the first day. i cannot say that when you go all will get along and enjoy each other's company as much as our group did, but they probably will. after all, everyone was seeking the same kind of experience, so they had to have some characteristics and personality traits in common. the culmination of this came on greek night when EVERYONE danced to the greek music being played on deck while we were docked on one of the islands.

5. the shore excursions. i debated whether i should include these in the good, or not so good section. however, the efforts of the cruise director, elena, pushed this into the good section. all of the excursions were reasonably priced and easily accessible. some were excellent, some not so good. i guess the same could be said of shore excursions everywhere. elena should also be commended for keeping things organized and moving smoothly during the excursions.

6. sailing scedule. most of the islands were small enough to be enjoyed with a full afternoon and evening. by staying overnight and sailing to the next island in the morning, you got to enjoy the port in the evening when it really comes alive. the added bonus is time to spend on deck in the breeze while travelling.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

1.no sails. the ship is a motorized yacht, not a sailing vessel. the prominent masts in the pictures lead to the false impression that they sail. again, they are not even equipped with sails. for some, this was a major disappointment. the one review i read did point this out, so i knew beforehand about this.

2. timing. there were times that the timing of our arrival and the lunch schedule had us losing precious tour time because lunch was being served onboard a half hour after we docked. therefore, by the time lunch was over it was after 1:00 rather than 11:30. i believe this scenario happened at least twice.

THE BAD:

1. conditions. the ship was in need of maintainance in several areas. we found mold in the bathrooms to be commonplace. one passenger went out and bought bleach to remove it in her shower. we had poor water pressure in our shower, one time it came to a complete stop. others reported problems with the AC.

2. overall appearance. the ship neede to be painted and varnished as it was becoming dull and rusty. while the rooms were certainly not huge, the size was certainly adequate.the problem was they looked "tired". with a little work the ship could have made a better impression. it was hard to get psyched looking at water-stained walls and burnt electrical outlets. while this is not a luxury ship, it does not appear that the owners were interested in investing money to make it look better.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN:

that is the big question. i certainly enjoyed the comraderie of the passengers. i met more people on this cruise with only 29 people than on one with 2900! but you surrender a lot of perks to get this. if i were to try this again in another part of the world, i would want a newer ship with a few amenities. or i might look into another cruise on windstar perhaps or star clipper.. it is impossible to compare this type of cruise to the mass market luxury cruise lines. they are completely different. i will leave it that. i had a wonderful experience and that i will probably look into one like this again, but hopefully one that has a few more reviews to go by.

steve