We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please read my review and this..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Please read my review and this..

Thanks to Nick and others for helpful advice on our recent trip..some very quick feedback. We stayed at the grande bretagne and i have written a not very positive review..after typing it i received a copy of our room bill..

It was accurate however they have charged everything to someone elses credit card! I would like to think I'll never see the bill but now I'm worried that sometime in the future a debit on my card will turn up when i'm least prepared!

We had a great time in Athens (didn't eat at the roof garden because they couldn't get an omelette or our room right) and really enjoyed the kebabs from the restaurant opposite Thanasis. We were never ripped off by a taxi driver..15 Euro from Port to Airport...never queued for anything and were only minmally affexted by the airline strike as we flew Aegean.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please read my review and this..

guruswife sorry but i disagree with you ...grande bretagne is one of the most luxurious and historical buildings-hotels of europe...the rooms and the whole project is amazing and trully luxurious..i mean with interiors and things which cost million of euros...the alexanders bar win the gold metal of the best bar and service for 2004 in the world...im not saying that you lie but probably you was the exeption of bretagnes service..really strange to hear that..when i wrote your review i guess that probably the fight bettwen king george and grande bretagne take part in the tripadvisors reviews...but for me is the best hotel in athens..and of corse the title of the leading hotl it deserve it....i think the reviews of grande bretagne answers that...i still can not understand why these happen to you...the reception midnight guy is a friend and im going to ask him all this....he is working 20 years there and the hotel is famous for its service....presidents from almost 100 countries have staed there...what else to say????a myth is a myth and i think this hotel is a myth of athens but for sure not a joke..read also king georges new review..also little bit much...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please read my review and this..

sorry mean read your review

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please read my review and this..

How do you explain if we were the exception that other people were experiencing the same problems with rooms incorrectly allocated?

Other factors...the doorman never opened the door for us once..compare this to Shangri la Singapore Valley Wing (Tony Blair is taying there for the Olympic presentation this week) where the doorman not only opened the door but carried my shopping to my room for me. or the lift operator at the oriental or carefully pressed the button for our floor without our noticing each time we got in. We waited for lifts so often the the GB that in the end we used either the service lift or walked down the stairs.

Standing in a queue for 15 mins just to get to counter is NOT five star service.. nor is being made to wait for hours for your room...

I feel they are so busy telling you about how many famous people have stayed they forget that they have other clients.

As for the George 11..I had no idea they were rivals...I walked out into the street and looked around.. the doorman there was opening doors for people and there was no queue at check in..

I will not argue that the hotel is beautiful and the rooms lovely but as i said it takes more than the building to make a five star..

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please read my review and this..

well guruswife there is a new review of grande bretagne talking about the service(how good it was

).....i dont know....you know the first time i also look is the service...it is not worth even to be in the best place in the world and not have good service..but from the reviews my experience in grande bretagne seems to be the exeption....to not open the door from the old guard gy is not too muck..king georges guard guy is 24 years old...well just go to king george 2 the other time...i think is also a myth of athens...and it is

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please read my review and this..

Hi Guruswife, Hi Gas.

You are both probably right!

Gas: Guruswife is absolutely right. 5 star is something difficult to achieve and to keep too. What may be considered "good service" or "easy service" in not opening the door here, may be annoying to somebody. In the otherhand: any comment should be welcome any time, any way.

Guruswife: Hi, how was the rest of the trip? I am really eager to know everything. I really believe that service is something that has to be going even higher from year to year if we want to keep high standards. The "not opening the door" habit may be something usual here, in a "not hassling" the client way. Really happy for the good taxi reviews. Bad cases may spoil the image but luckily are not the rule here.

Hi from Athens. :))

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please read my review and this..

thats what i would like to explain nick..for sure grande bretagne is fabulous hotel..but service can be little bit strange..the bads and the goods of the greek service.....the bad ...greek guy will probably not open the door to enter cause he thinks that this is slaves action...bad thought but is true..on the other hand.....when the greek say geia sou or hello or how was your trip sir? he means what he says..he feels nice to make a conversation and furthermore he will help you if you ask it in something that from his job is not must.....he is behaving more than human than robot.all these are general and of corse this type of service have many disavantages and advantages but for sure is what we called unique greek service.....if all these happen to guruswife he has all his right with him,but for me grande bretagne is a special place for sure..and i compare it with many other europeans hotels of its class...guruswife wait to hear about your experiences in greece....

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please read my review and this..

Hi Gas. You made my day for second time :)

Guruswife is probably a female and not a male!! That's why the Guruswife nickname: Wife of Gurus! She, not he!

Check the assigned photo!

Internet may be deceiving sometimes!

Guruswife as you can see, we have prolonged the conversation, but i think this was a usefull adittion from me! Ha, ha!

As for your comments, Gas, they are really right!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please read my review and this..

oups guruswife sorry if you are female...probably gurus ..wife...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please read my review and this..

Yep, I'm female.. and the Guru is my husband....

I wouldn't have worried about the doorman too much except that the Bretagne had a service question on their survey which asked how he performed! I realise that I'm one of only a few who have been negative about the bretagne but not all five star users post on this site. Incidentally it isn't the only five star I've been disappointed with... the only other two were also both part of the Starwood Groups Luxury Collection so I wonder perhaps if not being American has any influence??? (We've stayed at a lot of 5 stars around the world over the years so have a good base for comparison). One of the main reasons for staying at this level of hotel is to make travelling easy especially when you're away for over a month as moving around can be quite exhausting especially when it takes 30hrs to get to your destination. Waiting 3 hours for the room was my main gripe...

The rest of greece was wonderful. We stayed at the Santorini Princess and the service there was beyond compare..the room was lovely and we felt more than happy. Being keen walkers on our first day we walked from the Hotel to Fira Town (took just under 1.75hrs) stopping for photos and shopping enroute. We walked back in the afternoon. Day 2 we walked from the Hotel to Oia and down to Ammoudi for lunch. (Just under 2hr) We had excellent fresh lobster at Dimitri's. We decided a taxi back was the best way as we really didn't fancy going back up the donkey stairs. On the afternoon of our final day we were treated to a full blown greek wedding.

Our hotel in Crete was well located (Atlantis in Heraklion) as we primarily went to see Knossis and the Museum. It also had excellent service..recommend Loukoulas (spelling?) for a great meal.

The tip about eating at the Sofitel Airport was priceless. We had a beautiful meal which fitted neatly in the time frame. They asked if were swere staying inhouse and even thoug we said "No" We waited in their lobby as they suggested Our flight to Crete was delayed and we arrived quite late it was easy to grab a quick bite to eat and head off to bed.

The other islands we visited as part of our cruise and I'd have to say Sifnos was my favourite....I was surprised how cold the Aegean is when the air around is so warm. It was refreshing in the heat and not too cold to swim.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please read my review and this..

happy to hear that you have lovely time guruswife....geia sou from greece; ) im planning to visit australia next year(adelaide,sydney) so i let you know and of corse i will ask for your advices....