We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Athens to Lefkada

sydney
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Athens to Lefkada

We arrive at Athens airport and then will collect car to drive to Lefkada Island. Is there any route that is better than another? Are there places worth stopping at en route as we will need a break from driving every 1-2 hours? Do tolls need to be paid ? We've been told to allow 4 1/2 - 6 hrs for the drive by a local- is this correct?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

Hi again

Of course I agree but Greece in general has this "they are all crazy drivers" misconception hanging over the country and it's amazing how many people say here on TA that they would like to hire a car on whatever island or mainland place, but "have heard that the drivers are all crazy" which of course, isn't true. It's almost like they would come to Greece, rent a car and automatically expect to be involved in an accident. I'm just trying to point out that whilst there are without a doubt some statistically dangerous roads in Greece ( as there are anywhere), it shouldn't put people off from visiting the country.

sydney
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

Thanks for all the concern re road safety. We will take the gamble and drive slowly and hopefully arrive at our accommodation in one piece!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

It's fair enough to warn people about the hazards of driving in Greece or anywhere else but don't you think that using the words 'DANGEROUS' and like 'entering a battlefield' goes beyond that?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

I agree with you but it is not a matter of bad roads only (i.e. the nat'l road between Athens-Thessaloniki is for the most part fine but still accidents and reckless driving are very often....)

It is a matter of mentality and as you correctly pointed out you can "fight" this mentality (like I do...) only with defensive and careful driving....

All I wanted to point out is the the average tourist driving a car should be prepared for some "crazy" behavour (i.e. tailgating at 150 km/h on the middle lane...:) ) and remain calm....:)

A great way to avoid this is always driving on the right side (which will be faster anyway since everybody drives on the left side!!:) )

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

on the far right lane I meant not side of course! :)

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

I've lived in Athens for the past year and almost didn't drive to Patras over the long weekend because of the "dangerous" road discussion. I went anyway and I'm glad I did. The road was not a problem at all. Just drive halfway on the berm like everyone else and you will do just fine. I found the road quite good and the travel time to Patras from our apartment was shorter than I expected (< 3 hours). So go! I've driven worse roads in Florida.

Pa
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

kiwi, you will probably be pleasantly surprised with the driving. Everyone I know tried to scare the crap out of me too, but I drove all the way up to the Albanian border and back with ZERO trouble (and I am someone who avoids driving in NYC at all costs).

The scariest part for me isn't the other drivers, it's a lot of the treacherous roads, especially on the islands. I don't like being inches away from a huge drop. But of course, Big Sur in California was just as bad (if not worse).

Philly had 400 murders last year. Population of 1.4 million. That doesn't mean you'll die if you visit. Just be careful. ;)

Eve

18. Re: Drive from Athens to Lefkada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 24, 2009