We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Athens to Venice?

nyc
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Athens to Venice?

I have scheduled air for Oct 2008. We are going to be landing in Istanbul and taking a cruise that leaves us in Athens. Our return at this point (using freq flyer miles) is from Venice. How would we get there (least exp.) and/or where else might we look to leave from (Athens flights for ff miles is not availabe to us). Is there another city that Delta might fly from that is easier to get to?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

From Athens you can fly on www.aegeanairlines.gr but it does connect via Rome which makes it pretty lengthy..or you can fly to Corfu and take the overnighter boat over..check www.greekferries.gr .. am assuming the flight from Venice will connect somewhere in Europe as there are no directs from there to the States..What airline are you using?..interesting itinerary on ff..that is, flying into Istanbul and out of Venice! Enjoy!

nyc
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

We have a direct flight from Venice to JFK. Need to figure out what to do once the cruise drops us in Athens...we have 4 days to get to Venice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

You can either stay and enjoy Athens a few days and fly out..same options as above..www.aegeanairlines.gr has some great promo fares you may be able to hook up with your dates..Still think you may be backtracking here despite it being 'direct' from Venice, chances are it won't be 'non-stop' meaning you'll make a change somewhere! Nonetheless, the other option would be to fly to Corfu from where you can get a ferry/cruiser over to Venice..schedules may not be out yet but keep checking..Flying and/or sailing over are about your only options here:) Enjoy!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

Hi there, why don't you check the Alpieagles budget flights,

The fly directly from Athens to Venice.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

It seems to me as a great scenario :)

I 'd do it by plane, spending some of the time in Athens and some of the time in Venice.

So, it seems to me as a great chance to merge in 3 great civilizations. Istanbul, then a peek in busy Athens and then 2 days in Venice? It seems as a dream to me :)

Direct flights are not available, so you will most probably be connecting in Rome. I don't see any problem on this one :) Some airport shop window shopping and an "espresso Italiano" is always something nice to do. Even on a short change at an airport.

For "same company" flights and one way fares check these:

Air One

http://www.flyairone.it/en/

Around 110 euros per person. This is a quite nice fare for an o/w flight.

Alitalia

http://alitalia.com/

around 151 euros per person.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

Unfortunately Alpi Eagles are discontinuing all their flights from 02 Jan 2008.

Italian FAA did not gave them flights certification due to some ( ? ) financial problems. Hmm. . .who knows. It was a great way to do it though and a great timetable on evening hours / did it last year.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

Oh Nick,

I'm so sad they're not flying any more....

I was turning the idea of traveling to Sardenia with them, this coming Easter... They were offering great deals.

I just reached their official web page. There is an announcement writen in Italian only, that makes me feel (according to my poor knowledge of the language) that they are tending to start again, the soonest possible.

Anyway, another option is to fly to Venice with eazyjet.com via Milano.

I keep using them quite often, although I just found out that Diners Card has stopped them. Last night I was trying to make a reservation and I could not complete until I finally used my Visa. Right after that I called the local Diners agent and I was informed that the Company is "suspended".

Do you or anybody else in this forum knows something more?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

I also feel sorry about Alpi Eagles. It is a small size company, still, call me naive but i like their name :)

I hope they re - establish flight service really soon.

Regarding easyjet.com and relation with Diners:

Don't know something officially. Some relation i can see would be with easyjet politics to charge lower commission on VisaElectron transactions.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

Hmmm, it could possibly be that, but it seems to be O.K. with normal Visas, as well as the Amex..

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Athens to Venice?

( underground financial politics at 21st century )

::))

Visa holders can pay with a Visa Electron debit cardto have a lower commission. It's not the same, nevertheless, Visa company finally can be served by Easyjet on a "lower comission" profile. A Visa customer will probably also have a Visa Electron card.

Same applies with AMEX. Blue Card ( amex co ) has the "low comission" option.

Diners or any cooperating card type with Diners is blocked from these politics.