We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini

montreal
3 posts
Save Topic
Santorini

How far are the major sites on Santorini from the cruise boat docks? Can we get there ourselves or do we need a tour?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini

you can get yourselves but you will need a taxi...it will cost you about 10 euros or less to visit akrotiri ancient city...but i dont think it worth it...cause all the place is under arceological reconstruction....but for me if you arrive at morning take a tour when you arrive at fira with a wooden sailing boat....this is great...it will carry you to volcano then to thirasia tiny island and then to oia spending your day...but all this need at least 9 hours...if you have it do it....if you dont go for a walk to oia and take a nice meal to this traditional and protected from international culture laws village....; )

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini

we just returned from santorini a few weeks ago. we actually stayed on the island for 9 days so we think we saw the entire place. too bad you will only be there for a short while. once you get off the cruise ship you can either take a donkey or cable car up the mountain to Fira which is the main area. i recommend taking a donkey up the steps (about 3 euro) and then cable car on the way down (3 more euro i believe). once you get to the main town you can walk around fira for the day. there are many shops and restaurants to explore. if you are only there one day- i would just spend the day in fira. the beaches are nothing much to look at and the ancient city is over hiped. possibly take a taxi to oia for lunch or dinner if you have time and i think you will be pleased with your day.

enjoy.!