We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

Greetings! We are traveling on a 10 day cruise on Celebrity in October and will have 1 full day in Athens (our first trip there).

1. What is the best way to travel from the PORT to Athens?

2. With only 1 day in Athens, what are the TOP places we should be sure to see?

3. What is the best itineray/order to see the most without back-tracking?

4. What is the weather like in mid/late October?

Thank you so much for your input! Have a truly blessed day!

1. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:59 pm, September 21, 2005
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

Janbeau is right. You can take the metro from Piraeus and get in Athens in no time. Please consider that you 'll have some walking, about 10 minutes, from the cruise ships dock to the station.

Weather is mild in mid late october, but there is a possibility of some rainy or cool wetaher, although two last years were really hot during October ( about 25C ). A super light easily packing raincoat and a jacket or light fleece around the waist are easy to carry.

If there are tours provided by the cruise ship getting you to both Epidavros ( out of Athens ) and Acropolis too, take the tours. If it is just an 8 to 10 hours stay, take the metro to the center and enjoy the magnificent city. Acropolis, Plaka area and Monastiraki - Thission are the places to go, all in walkable distances, near major stations. If time allows it, Lucabbetus Hill will give you an nearly aerial view of the city.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

AUTiger: I've noticed that you've posted on several forums for your different ports of call. Have you looked at www.cruisecritic.com? This is a great site for cruising and the boards are very informative. You can find boards on the different cruise lines and boards on all the ports of call, and since its geared to cruising you might have more people giving you feedback on the 1-day dilemma.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

AUTiger:

I forgot to put in my 2 cents. No matter what, you have to see the Acropolis. Bring some water if its a hot day for the climb to the top. It is spectacular!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I did find CruiseCritic (of course that was after I posted all my questions here) :) But, it's always nice to gain perspective from as many fellow travelers as possible.

I found a private tour through Spiros in Athens that will pick us up at 8am at port and take us to Athens for the day- where ever we would like to go- then drive us back that evening. It's 230E for all 4 of us. It's the best deal I've found so far and have heard lots of positive reviews on CruiseCritic. Do you feel that is our best bet to maximize what we see and not be limited to a large group?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

Autiger, if you only have one day in Athens, of course you have to see the Acropolis. You can spend an entire day there and in the Plaka, the area around the base of the Acropolis filled with hundreds of shops, restaurants, and tavernas. Too bad you don't have time for an overnight trip to Delphi or to see the Meteoras (monasteries) in the mountains above Patras.

P.S. Auburn? How 'bout them Dawgs? Let the big Dawg eat.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day in Athens via Cruise Ship- Best Itinerary???

P.S. I goes without saying that I'm a UGA alum.