We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glyfada, Athens

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Glyfada, Athens

I have just booked a weeks holiday to Athens next month with my fiance and we are staying at John's Hotel in Glyfada.

Has anybody stayed at this hotel recently? I've seen a few postings but they are from a while ago. It appears to be quite centrally located but if anyone can let me know how far it is from shops, restaurants, and nightlife I would be grateful. I would also like to know how we can get into cental Athens too for a few days of sightseeing.

Some comments on the quality of the local beaches (I've read they are quite pebbly) and the nightlife would also be helpful. I'm 26 and a bit of a discerning London clubber, so will I find anything that matches up in Glyfada!? Music policy is funky house and rnb.

Thanks for any replies on these things.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
43 reviews
349 helpful votes
1. Re: Glyfada, Athens

I havent stayued in the hotel so i cant make comment on that....but as for the location i have some thing to write..the hotel is really close to cafes and restaurants of glyfada..especially the most cozy cafeterias of glyfada are few metres from there at zisimopoulou street...the beaches close to hotel are plenty but really few pof them are worth...go to balux beach from the other side of poseidonos avenue..with 10 euros per person you have your private umbrella and seslong ,an acess to a swimming pool and orginize facilities next to a very clean and lively beach....next to balux is an other beaCH..better for families ,bigger and costs 6 euros per person providing the same facilities exept the swimming pool...dont miss rnb night at balux club ..they are the most famous of Athens

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Glyfada, Athens

As the other poster pointed out, the hotel is very close to the cafes and restaurants of Glyfada as well as the beaches. The "free" beaches are indeed pebbly and not organized...no chairs or umbrellas, but there are plenty of "private" beaches where for 6-10 Euros per person you get access to a clean, sandy beach, changing rooms, umbrella, chairs and there are bars and cafes at the beach as well. Glyfada and the whole Athenian coast is known for its clubs and nightlife, so you should also not have any trouble at all with what you are looking for :)

Getting to Central Athens is fairly easy....you can take the tram from the main square of Glyfada...it runs along the coast and then into Central Athens, stopping at Syndagma Sq., though it is a bit slow. There are also express buses leaving from the main square in Glyfada which are faster and can get you in town in a half hour or less. There's also express buses to the port of Piraeus as well. It is not at all difficult in other words.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Glyfada, Athens

Thankyou Gas and Neo11 for your very helpful comments. I am really looking forward to our holiday!

4. Re: Glyfada, Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 05, 2009