We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotels

I am planing a trip to Athens. I am planing on staying there 14 days, but am wondering if that is too long and I should be splitting my trip up? Any advice?

Also I have found a hotel, EVRIPIDES HOTEL on Evripidou Street, it says it is walking distance to all main sights, centre of Athens, close to Acropolis. Also says it has a great view of the Acropolis, Lycabettus. The rate of this hotel is amazing, anyone out there know anything about it.

Thanks a heap

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

Well, also Athens has loads of things to do i think it's a pity coming all the way from Canada to Greece and stay your full vacation just in Athens.

You can spend 8 to 10 days of your vacation using Athens as a base, visiting Athens itself but also: Epidavros / Mucenaes / Olympia / Delfi in one or two tours and Aeghina or Hydra or Spetses in another tour and then spend last 4 days in an island like one of Cycladic islands.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

nick is right....you can have great time in athens while visiting the neighboured islands of the city like magic idra.a special place with traditional buildings and without any cars!!!the island is completely protected for its traditional spirit.also egina/poros are great islands....well athens has to offer arceological monuments and nice museums.also nice restaurants and good night life,but at the end its not fair to spend so many days in greece without visiting santorini or an other cycladic island like sifnos,milos,ios,paros or folegandros...the best places in greece and they are about 3-5 hours trip from the main port (pireas) of athens if you take highspeed ferries..

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

see also at achilleas an plaka hotel.they are located in the center in the area of the main attractions...evrepidou street is a little bit underground.www.achilleashotel.gr www.plakahotel.gr

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

I also agree with the others about spending all your time in Athens. We spent 3 days in Athens on our last trip and we found that 3 full days was plenty. Unless you are there on business I would highly recommend a trip to at least one Island. The ferries are relatively inexpensive and you can find cheap hotels on the Islands if you search. Airfare is also reasonable. As an example a flight to Crete is just over $300 Canadian per person. I think flights to the other islands are priced similar.

We are returning to Greece again this year and we are spending 3 nights in Athens plus we are doing a two day trip to Meteora, but most of our 4 week trip will be on the Islands. There is lots to do in Athens but as Nick says, it would be a shame to come all that way and not experience one of the Islands and or a side trips into the interior.

One more note. you might want to think about staying in Athens during the last part of your trip just in case there are any problems getting off the Island due to weather. I do not know if this is a big concern but I have read people mention it on this web site.

John

canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels

Thanks everyone,

Will take your advice, just reading thru different postings, I was beginning to realize that 2 wks in Athens alone, we'd start to get bored.

Will check out different hotel as well

Have any of you heard of the Economy Hotel in Klisthenous St.?

Nick I've read alot of your comments, you are very knowlegable about this area' Tks for the help

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels

Thank you too for your kind words. Sorry, i am not familiar with this hotel. Please, post in this thread if you are in need of some other advice to be more helpfull!

canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels

Hi, it' me again. I am trying to find out all I can about Greece. I have bought books, but find I am getting better ideas from this forum. I think I have found a hotel in Athens, in a safe spot, it is the Myrto Nikis 40 Sintagima, I was thinking spending 5 days in Athens now, would I be able to see everthing or would 4 do it? Also which is the best island out of tha Cycladic to stay at, with the most sight seeing. We are not that interested in the water scene, getting to old. Am mostly interested in all the old structures. No one has mentioned Crete, I have heard there are very old structures in the southern part of Crete, is this true.

I was thinking 4days Athens, 4 days, somewhere else and 4 or 5 at another.

Nick it sounds like you are my travel agent. Ha Ha. Your so very helpful. Thank you.

Waveland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels

I, too, looked into the Evripides hotel because of its very inexpensive rate; however, through this forum found out the hotel is located in a busy market part of the city and where it may be unsafe to walk at night. I chose the Attalos Hotel for 72 E per night--more than I wanted to pay, but received good reviews in this forum, plus has a rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis. Hope this helps. Although I will be in Greece 19 days, I plan only 5 days in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels

Hi MSfreespirit from a sunny and celebrating Greek Easter Athens!

Hi damsil!

Nikis Rd is a road located very near Sindagma Sq. which is the central square of Athens, with many transport connections. Nikis is a small road which is not accepting so much traffic. Although i am not familiar with this hotel, the location is a nice and convenient one, and safe for sure. I 'll try to check just outside views of the hotel to give you a short description tomorrow. Although proposition of MSfreespirit is worth to check for, since she has made an extended survey several days ago.

As for the programme, is starting to get better now. 5 days in Athens are enough to have a really good and extensive view. 4 days can do the same. It depends on which your other destinations are going to be.

Let's start with Athens. In brief words, what you "have" to visit, since you are interested in antiquities, is:

- Acropolis and surrounding arcaelogical sites, all conveniently located in generally the same area, walkable in a day or two.

- Museums: Superb museums like the National Arcaelogical Museum with ancient greek and classical antiquities from 9th to 3rd BC centuries, the Byzantine museum with antiquities from 6th to 14th AD centuries, and of course Goulandri Museum of Cycladic art with preclassical antiquities dating from 5.000 to 3.500 BC. Also really good reviews exist for two newly built museums. One is the Jewish museum and the other is Museum of Islamic Art, both giving some image of adjacent spectacular civilizations. You can visit all of them on two days.

- General sightseeing: Plaka area, Anafiotika, Psirri area. Leisure and mostly pedestrian's areas with traditional housing, to give you some rest and food - cofee time.

4 days are enough for these, but first day will also be needed for some rest and "get in touch" walking or reccuperating from jetlag.

As for your other destinations, since you are not interested in the swimming and water part, but in the antiquities part, most important destinations are:

- Olympia in Peloponissos. Place of helding Ancient Olympics dating from 8th BC century,

- Epidavros in Peloponissos. The most preserved ancient open air classical theatre,

- Delphi in Central Greece. Ancient temples and oracles area dating from 9th BC century,

- Knossos in Crete. Place of origin of ancient islandic Minoan civilisation dating from 18th BC century,

- Meteora in Thessaly. Byzantine era monasteries area set on the top of magnificent huge rocks.

These are the main arcaelogical attractions. Most of the antiquities areas except Knossos in Crete and some destinations in Naxos, Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes are located in the mainland. So, you can visit them in coach tours departing from Athens.

Take a look at Greece maps provided in this site to have some scratch image of their location and the distances and start some survey in this and linked sites too to clarify these choices.

So i think it would be a really good idea ( and only if you think it fits your rythm ) to make a programme like this: 4 days in Athens, 3 - 5 days in a tour starting from Athens visiting the mainland like Olympia and Delphi and finally 4 - 5 days in Chania or Rethymno on Crete to visit this spectacular island, relax and enjou the food and the people. A well planned trip is always something good. Hope i was helpfull.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels

I also forgot Mycenaes in Peloponissos ( fool of me! )

You can find loads of information and photos at

http://www.gnto.gr/?langID=2

which is the official state information site.

Also check

dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp…

for a map including basic sites names.