We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Greece without speaking Greek

Hi, we'll be going to Greece on May and we speak Spanish. English, Portuguese... but not a word of Greek.

I bought a phrase book but I don't have great expectations with it.

Since we're going for a "real greek feeling" kind of trip, we want to avoid the big ultra luxury hotels and turistic places were, I assume, it is easy to find people who speak English... how bad is it?

Should we change our minds and go for an organized tour and the big hotels or do you think we can survive and not dye of starvation?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Greece without speaking Greek

No dont change anything, most of people under 50 yrs old speak english. It is far better to be outside of a group, my advise to read a travel guide instead of the phrase book in order to be familiar with the attractions. As for the greek language you will learn a few when here.

Have a nice time

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Greece without speaking Greek

Don't have even the slightest worry about the language. Most people speak English ( but not a word of Spanish! ). People of all ages are always helpfull and willing to help in any problem. Traffic signs and subway signs and stops are also written billingual, both in Greek and English.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Greece without speaking Greek

You will get by just fine. Greeks like other southern Europeans are very demonstratve and somehow everyone understands everything!

Most menus are in some form of English as well as Greek and in smaller places you get to look at the food before it goes on your plate so you won't starve!

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Greece without speaking Greek

Thanks!!! I'm so glad it won't be an issue. There's a saying in my country, when you don't understand what somebody is telling you, they say: "You are speaking to me in Greek!!"... and I was afraid that was literally what is going to happen to me!!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Greece without speaking Greek

The Greeks say " it's all Chinese to me"!!!