We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Athens

Hi. Any suggestions for a day trip? We arrive from New York at 10:10, but our flight to Mykonos leaves much later that night. We are ending our trip in Athens, so I want to save site seeing in Athens until then. Thanks!

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip from Athens

Totally agree with you Tegs. Buses are cheeper than Taxis. For example, I took the organge bus (KTEL) from the Airport outside the hotel opossite the terminal, to Artemis (Loutsa) for 1, 50 euro which was a ten - fifteen minute journey. A taxi would have charged me possibly around 7-9 euros, if not more, for a very short journey to the beach from the airport.

Florida, US
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip from Athens

Thanks for your input and helping with my vacation plans. Loutsa sounds like the easiest to get to with the airport my home base that day. I can't find much to read about it. What I would like to do after that long flight is go find a lounge chair by the water for a few hours to recharge. I saw a picture of the beach that looked nice, but unsure of it's location. If I get off the bus in Loutsa, is it a reasonable walk to a beach, and do you know if it's a place where they would rent chairs?

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trip from Athens

Hello Rosy,

You asked:

���If I get off the bus in Loutsa, is it a reasonable walk to a beach, and do you know if it's a place where they would rent chairs?���

Here is the answer to your question:

What you need to do is to take the Orange bus (KTEL) from outside the Airport���s terminal opposite the hotel, (I think it is called Sofitel), but check at the info desk at the airport where is the stop for the buses for Artemis (Loutsa). They are the same buses that go to the Port of Rafina, but stop in Artemis (Loutsa) as well. Here is my suggestion. Once you are in the bus, get off as soon as you arrive at the sea at the main cross road, (in Greek cross road is called diastovrosi) by Artemis���s beach. So once you are in the bus remember to get off AS SOON AS the bus reaches the sea. Immediately you will have Artemis���s beach by your foot, as well as seaside cafeterias, restaurants, etc. Of course you will be able to rent a chair, (I think how it works out, is that you will have to buy a drink and you get a chair as well). You will need the drink as the sun will be really hot!! Don���t forget to wear your swimming suit. If you get hungry there will be some excellent seaside tavernas around you.

Now, once you re-charged your batteries and if you still have time and you are up for a walk, then visit the Temple of Artemis in Vravrona. Don���t forget to bring a camera with you. If you decide to follow this option, look out for bus signs for Artemis (Vravrona) or for bus numbers 304 and 321 (run at around 15 minutes). Ensure that the bus will take to Vravrona and NOT to the City of Athens. The ticket will cost you 0.70 cents. Take the bus from Artemis���s beach and get off where it terminates. From Artemis���s beach where you will be, to the terminal stop in Vravrona is no more than 10 minutes drive. As you will get off the bus you will see Mare Nostrum Hotel. Walk pass the Hotel, continue walking ahead, (you will have some excellent views of Vravrona bay and the surrounding mountains), keep walking ahead for around 10 minutes. Notice signs for the temple of Artemis which will instruct you to turn left. 5-7 minutes walk from there you will find the Temple. Nearby the Temple there is an excellent Archaeological Museum. Admission to the temple and the museum costs 6 euros. If you decide to visit the archaeological area, I recommend you to read about its history beforehand. It makes the visit much more exciting once you are there. (keywords for internet search: Vravrona and Iphigenia). However, you will also find a lot of information at the museum. It is worth calling the museum a couple of days before your visit to double check with the staff that it will be open. Opening hours: Daily, excluding Mondays 08:30-15:00, Tel: 00302299027020. The staff at the museum are very friendly.

I wish to have a fantastic time in Greece. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Florida, US
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip from Athens

Excellent! Thanks so much for all the information. I'll copy, print and take this along. Sounds like a much better way to spend the day than at the airport! I'm so grateful to all of you helping us on this forum. It's going to make my trip to Greece much easier than the last.

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip from Athens

Dear Rosie,

I am glad you liked the idea. Have a great time in Greece.