We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Tonight me & my husband went to the centre to meet 5 Aussie friends for drinks & dinner. After dinner two of them went to meet other friends, so we stopped down Makrigianni for a drink with the other 3 as they were staying at the Hera hotel.

Just walking them down to the hotel before we called Beat to go home, we were approached by a man saying ‘it’s early yet, come for a drink at my friends bar’, I said Reina?, no way!’ & ranted at him in Greek with a few unsavoury words & told him to eff off & leave my friends alone! I explained in English to my friends what was going on & it was a scam that would cost them a fortune, meanwhile the guy was cursing me in Greek, so my husband was having a good go back at him! He was so angry, mainly because now he couldn’t scam anyone within hearing distance of the exchange of words :)

Thankful to have saved a potential nightmare for our friends on their last night, I only wish I could be there every time that odious specimen approached tourists :(

35 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Well done Yiassas👏

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

yes well done Yiassas good that we have read that scam from others on here a few times

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Well done you! He must have wondered what hit him :-)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

He was a tad angry, lol! He certainly didn’t like being sussed & exposed, especially as I wasn’t quiet about it 🤣🤣 I was so angry that he was targeting my friends & thinking about all the others he’d scammed, I was probably doing a good impression of a screaming banshee, lol! Because I made him angry he was retaliating with some not so nice comments, but I wasn’t listening as I was explaining to our friends why I had got so angry at him, but my husband heard what he he said & he then got a mouthful from him for insulting me.

Just love it if I ruined his night & ruined his chance of conning anyone else in the vicinity, makes any insults he threw at me worth every word! Insults from lowlife like that are worth nothing anyway 😁

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Get in there... as we say around here! Or, nice one Yiassas!

Although I never thought of it at the time, I think I might have been his intended target 10 years ago, when he said that his wife came from Yorkshire and did I want to have a drink with him. I can still remember his face, and could pick him out on an identity parade... Maybe that says more about me!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Bravo Yiassas! Unfortunately this scumbag will still be there conning unsuspecting tourists. People must avoid Reina and all of the other bars along Syngrou avenue.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
916 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

This is one of the oldest scams and I dread to think how many people have fallen for it over the years and ended up being separated from their money.

Just last summer I saw it in action in a Piraeus backstreet near the port although thankfully the targetted victims didnt fall for it.

Looks like this scammer got more than they bargained for when they tried to target Yiassas and friends.

Edited: 2:06 am, July 23, 2018
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Yiassas - I cannot imagine a delicate flower like you telling anyone to eff off.

:)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Hahaha! It’s not something I usually do :)

I think the sheer anger of finally coming across this individual took over!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!

Well done! I can just imagine the verbal pasting he got from you & Mr Yiassas!! I would not wish to be on the wrong side of one of you, never mind the pair of you working together!!

Reply to: Soooo proud of myself re bar scam!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted